Aspirin

connolls

Hello,

Just a quick question about getting aspirin in France. Need to get a small amount for my dog until we go back to the UK.

Is it just called ASPIRIN ??? or are there any trade names I should look for.

Are they expensive ?

Any points in the right direction would be appreciated.

Many Thanks Mel.

[quote user="connolls"]

Is it just called ASPIRIN ??

Are they expensive ?

Any points in the right direction would be appreciated. [/quote]

Aspirin in France - as in the UK - is cheap and easily available in small quantities. There are various 'names' which generally come with a coating to make swallowing by humans easier; the tablets are not expensive at all ie about 1€70 or so for a small box. Just ask for aspirine in the pharmacie and away you go. Though there are pet supply shops within outlets such as Jardiland/Gamme Vert/JardiPlus which deal exclusively with pet orientated supplies, whose products might be safer.

What I am worried about is that I am not sure it is safe to give human aspirin to animals including dogs. I found this from flexpet - though they could be being devious:-

Quote: 'Do not give over-the-counter aspirin made for human consumption to your dogs.'

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sue

Years ago my vet' told me to give my Border Collie 1/4 of an aspirin a day (it's long ago now so I forget what it was for.)  He didn't suggest that the human form was in any way inappropriate for animals - just to be aware that a normal quanitity for a human was an over-the-top dose for a dog!

Thanks for all of that info.

I've checked with my vet and she says there is no problem with "human" aspirin for the dog............suggested dose of 1/2 a tablet.

It's just for a little pain relief after the poor old lad was traumatized after a long walk !!(it was never intended for either him or us but we got very lost !!!!)

Thanks once again,

Mel.

If your pet needed some pain relief, why did you not ask your vet what to buy at the pharmacy? It would have saved time and further stress for the poor old lad. I presume by the time you had the answer, it was too late to buy something today, so he will have to suffer until tomorrow. I’m glad you’re not looking after me!

I know when we lived in France we were told to get pain medication that was  for young children to give to our dog. It would be liquid with a tube that was pretty easy to slip into her mouth and sort of get it down her throat. If it didn't go down she'd spit it out, and tablets, bof, even in her food, she would delicately avoid them.

Our pharmacie sold medication for animals, don't all the other?

Thanks for your concern Betty ....................but I wanted some ADDITIONAL tablets for him, I have a supply of his anti-inflammatory medication that he usually takes but wanted to give him a little boost...........more for my piece of mind and I didn't want to overdose him thats why I checked with my vet.

HE'S NOT STRESSED ABOUT IT AT ALL BETTY IT'S ME !!!!!

If your suggesting that he's been neglected then you don't know anything about me.............. and I managed to get some from my neighbour today but thanks for your concern.

To everyone else thank you for the information.

Mel.