Taking a dog to France less than 21 days after rabies vaccine

andyps

We stupidly forgot to get the rabies booster for our dog before the previous one ran out which means that he has not had valid cover for the last two weeks. With the revised rules we have to wait 21 days before we can bring him back into the UK from the date of vaccination (today) but just wanting to check if anyone has experience of the French expecting the same 21 day period for dogs visiting there.

Our plan was to go to France on February 12th which is only 19 days from now, returning a week later so we are clear for coming back to the UK with no problem. Having never been checked on the way in to France there is a high chance no one would notice, but we don't want to get turned away so any advice/experience appreciated.

AFAIK the french authorities aren't in the slightest bit concerned about whether the dog is inside or outside its 21 days, as long as the jab has been given. Like the previous rules, which allowed travel out of the UK immediately following the vaccine being administered, the situation remains the same. As you are already aware, as long as you are not travelling back to the UK before the 21 days is up, then your travel should be unimpeded. The rules are for entry to the UK not France.

[quote user="Judie"]AFAIK the french authorities aren't in the slightest bit concerned about whether the dog is inside or outside its 21 days, as long as the jab has been given. [/quote]

Not true.  The French authorities require that dogs and cats have a valid rabies injection given at least 21 days before the entry into the country.

They rarely seem to check, although Idun is a rare exception, but do not mistake this for having no interest.  You might just as well say they are not interested in speeding drivers because there is no radar trap in the middle of every village.

EDIT:  Defra are not the ones to ask, since their interest is principally in the health of animals in the UK not those leaving it.  The correct place to ask is the French authorities

I must point out that it was only the once of the many times we travelled with our dog. And had me in a panic looking for the paperwork as I wasn't expecting it on our way out of the UK.  It didn't seem unreasonable though.

Arriving at Calais, or Zeebrugges  or where ever to go to England, I always had everything to hand.

[quote user="andyh4"]

[quote user="Judie"]AFAIK the french authorities aren't in the slightest bit concerned about whether the dog is inside or outside its 21 days, as long as the jab has been given. [/quote]

Not true.  The French authorities require that dogs and cats have a valid rabies injection given at least 21 days before the entry into the country.

They rarely seem to check, although Idun is a rare exception, but do not mistake this for having no interest.  You might just as well say they are not interested in speeding drivers because there is no radar trap in the middle of every village.

EDIT:  Defra are not the ones to ask, since their interest is principally in the health of animals in the UK not those leaving it.  The correct place to ask is the French authorities

[/quote]

I stand corrected. Can you please let me have a link to the legislation that confirms your point as my vet would like to see it.

This is the link to the latest information from Customs in France and I cannot see anything there to confirm the 21 day wait before entering France if you are travelling from an EEC country. I'm afraid it needs to be cut and pasted

http://www.douane.gouv.fr/page.asp?id=83

Quote:

Assurez-vous que la vaccination antirabique sera valable au moment de votre voyage (pensez aux rappels de vaccination),

That is the operative word "valable" and not "donné".

I very quickly found this reference to the 21 days - but admit that it relates to US imports to the EU in general.  It does however appear to define what a valid injection is - ie given at least 21 days prior to arrival.

TO:  All USDA Accredited Veterinarians

SUBJECT:  Microchip and Rabies Vaccination Requirements for European Union

This is to remind you of the Microchip and Vaccination requirements for pets entering into the European Union.

Pet dogs, cats, and ferrets must be identified with either a clearly readable tattoo or a microchip.  The microchip must comply with ISO standard 11784 or 11785 Annex A, or the appropriate microchip reader must be provided along with the pet.  Annex A type microchips available in the United States include AKC/TROVAN, HOMEAGAIN and AVID EUROCHIP.

Microchip implantation must occur PRIOR to rabies vaccination.  Any rabies vaccination that occurs prior to microchip implantation is not considered valid. If a microchip is being implanted for the first time, 21 days must have elapsed after rabies vaccination before the health certificate can be issued regardless of whether the animal was up-to-date on its previous rabies vaccinations

If you have any questions, please contact Judy Moreno, Export Document Examiner, at 352-313-3071.

Sincerely,

C. Dix Harrell, DVM

Assistant Area Veterinarian in Charge

But for chapter and verse go to the source material:

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/liveanimals/pets/reg_998_2003_en.pdf

Annex 1b section MI5 on page 17

(c) at least 21 days must have elapsed since the completion of the vaccination protocol required by the manufacturer for the primary vaccination in accordance with the technical specification of the marketing authorisation referred to in point 1(b) for the anti-rabies vaccine in the Member State or third country in which the vaccination is administered;

(d) the period of validity of the vaccination, as prescribed in the technical specification of the marketing authorisation for the anti-rabies vaccine in the Member State or third country where the vaccine is administered, must have been entered by the authorised veterinarian in:

(i) Section IV of the passport;

As I'm sure you know, the USA is not in the EEC and the OP appears to be travelling from the UK to France. There are different rules for travelling from outside the EEC, refered to here http://www.douane.gouv.fr/page.asp?id=46#2 and it specifically states the 21 day wait.

I'm more than happy to stand by my original link to the french Customs site and their rules for travel within the EEC. There is no mention of having to wait 21 days before travelling.

andyh4

I have read the document you linked to. It contains several details which have now been superceded, such as the allowance of a tattoo or a microchip as identification.

I prefer to use the customs' website as it is they who will be making the immediate decision whether my pets travel into France.

andyh4 and andyps

I thought it best to check with the cat and dog export team via the link on DEFRA's website, as I had never had a problem with transporting all my animals to and fro.

andyh4 you are correct that andyps will have to wait the 21 days before travelling out of the UK.

There will, in all likelihood, be no checks in France, but the passport will be checked in the UK and the early travel might well be picked up there.

[quote user="Judie"]andyh4

I have read the document you linked to. It contains several details which have now been superceded, such as the allowance of a tattoo or a microchip as identification.

I prefer to use the customs' website as it is they who will be making the immediate decision whether my pets travel into France.
[/quote]

The document is the original EU agreement and lists all relevent amendments.  These are easily tracked through Google Yahoo or whatever, but I thought posting the original link followed by 16 supplementary links - none of which have any relevenace to the matter under discussion namely the legal source data for "21 days"* - would be somewhat offputting.

* which if I remember correctly is what you asked for.

Thanks for all the replies. In answer to Idun, unfortunately the vet didn't send a reminder and we missed the date by less than a week, but it is still a break (as an aside I can't really see that there is an issue with the vaccine in that it stops working suddenly after 1095 days, or 1096 if there is a leap year in the 3 year period). Defra said that it is not possible to take the dog out until after the 21 day period when I rang but we are pretty sure that didn't apply when we first had the chip and vaccine and the 6 month rule applied. The vet, when giving the injection said that the dog was clear to leave the country immediately. Eurotunnel have said that they don't check at all when leaving the country but it is possible that someone from Defra would.

I think we might just have to take a chance that we won't be stopped on the way out and then no one will be any the wiser about it, provided the authorities haven't read this thread!

"En France, la réalisation de la primo-vaccination antirabique n'est considérée comme valable qu'à partir de 21 jours après la fin du protocole de vaccination prescrit par le fabricant. La vaccination antirabique de rappel est considérée en cours de validité le jour de sa réalisation."

http://www.mfe.org/index.php/Thematiques/Douanes

• 3 weeks later...
Just thought I would update, we have decided not to take the dog - sods law states that the one time we would be stopped on entering France would be this time so we have found him a home for the week and will leave him in the UK. Bet we don't get stopped now!