Colic symptoms or?

milkeybar kid

Any horsey people out there please.

Would a change of diet for our little cob give colic type symptoms - looking round at her sides , stamping now and again and swishing her tail.

We have been sitting with her all evening, even Hetty the donkey is fretting but not the same symptoms, just a bit anxious like us..

We feed mixed sweet feed which has some crushed oats, and light molasses. (Its all but the same diet as before just a different supplyer.)

We have had both Loppy lugs and Hetty about 11 months and have had no problems whatsoever.

It could be a long night tonight.!

I am sure I have read that I should remove water and give no food any advice would be appreciated, but will look it up on google.

Mother and baby are doing well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, Ok you are thinking we should have known but we had never given it a thought except Loppy was putting on weight wonderfully as she was skin and bones when we bought her.

Hubby went to our neighbour (who has sheep) for help, he was delighted to be asked to have a look at Loppy and new immediately what was going on, he stayed with us till 3 this morning when the filly (note technical terms!) arrived. Just been to the stables Hetty the donkey is proudly standing on guard duty and is also now settled, she looks to be smiling and mother and baby look content. There will be some laughter in the village today! We are off back to bed, what a night! As said before are language skills are a not so good but in a crisis like this it made not a jot of difference, it never fails to amaze me.

Something tells me there will be a load of official paperwork coming on, does anyone know if I have to register the foal etc etc. Thanks. ZZz

[quote user="milkeybar kid"]Mother and baby are doing well!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

That is just brilliant news ... and why should you realise she was pregnant if mum-to-be was mere skin and bone when you bought her ?

So instead of rescuing one horse ... you've rescued two ... what could be better than that ?

Sue [:)]

Thank you for the interest.

We think all is OK but perhaps we should get the vet out to check them both as I think Loppy is a bit anaemic showing in the eyes (so our neighbour says).

The language got us in a bit of a muddle - locals have been arriving on and off all day to look at" le puzzle", yes we thought the whole carry on was a bit puzzling and we were asking one and all for a name!! but they kept going on about le puzzle. Slow or what !!! we get the jist now,because the youngster is a skewbald (I think I have it the right way round for a brown and white)

Well, the locals have named her le puzzle.

Ahh bless they brought us a bottle of champagne, how sweet is that.

Will post a pic eventually (dont have photo bucket etc) but as yet we are having to build a new stable on the end as she will be getting a bit cramped. Trying to find a horse feed place better than Terre de Sud.Please, does anyone know what paperwork we have to do re ..le puzzle!

Congratulations! What a wonderful suprise, and what a time waster you'll find little Puzzle [:D] My donkey had a foal nearly 3 years ago and it is so much fun having your own baby to enjoy and train from the word go.

If you have a Gamm Vert or Point Vert near you they both keep horse feed. When you get the vet out to check mother and baby they should know what paperwork you need. Good luck and looking forward to photos.

We never fail to be amazed how all this has turned out, we were watching them in the field yesterday morning(just for 2hrs when it gets very warm) and wondered why Hetty the donkey and loppy were herding Puzzle between them in fact we were getting anxious as they seemed to be squashing her so she couldn't move, next minute an almighty jet type plane screamed overhead. Stunned we realize they heard this before we did and by their action stopped puzzle galloping off on her wobbly legs in fright. Amazing. Vet arrives on Monday so she can be chipped!

Cant get our head around photo bucket, not very digital minded!!!!is it possible please that some kind soul would allow me to send them an email through my private account (not forum email) with one pic of puzzle and one of loppy and puzzle. If so could some one say what size of pic.

Would love to be able to show off our new offspring. If it was possible and that you were happy to post the pics on the forum on our behalf. Thank you.

I have e-mailed you MBK, I'd be happy to post for you.

I don't know how accurate it is but have read that donkeys can hear up to 11 miles! As desert animals they need to know what's coming from some way away, those long ears are useful for that!

Yes, you are very lucky, such a pretty little thing and a grey mare.  Thank you for saving her (if that is how you had her).  I have always wanted a grey mare, having known a couple in different stables.

My little grey horse died on November 1st 2010 when he was practically thirty-nine years old.  We saved him from the butcher when he was only eighteen months old (he was black then!), so quite a lifetime together.

Enjoy your lovely pals Milkeybar Kid, they are very special.   [:)]

Yes, thank you Rob Roy. Much appreciated for posting our pics. We are not yet into a digital camera!!!!

Christine, yes we saved her in the sense that she was getting catapulted with pebbles by a little boy of about 6 years old as we passed a field on a jaunt out one afternoon, she looked like a hat rack. We made enquiries what was what in the village and then had a French friend go and offer our money. We thought if an English couple offered money the price would be even higher!! We paid € 100 cash for her.

EDITED:Hubby just reminded me we actually paid €200 in total. The owner insisted a bill of sale and some papers for €100 but the other €100 I think he called it luck money! Our French friend said it was normal practice for rogues! But worth every penny.