Inbuilt Clock

cooperlola

It's 17.57.  18.00 is cat tea time.  As every day, a large orange device has just plonked itself on the bed beside my desk and has its front paws on my shoulder and is rubbing its face on mine.

17.59.  Now on the desk and trying to walk on the keyboard.

How do they know?

I'll swear our dog could read the time too. I used to do a quarter of an hour a day change autumn and spring when the hour changed. Not that she minded getting fed early it was the getting fed late that she didn't like.

The cat, well he has dry food and helps himself. He doesn't even eat as much as the packet says each day, but I often suspect that their quantities are slightly 'more'. So he isn't a problem. However, he knows when we should be up on a morning and has found that if he bangs against the wardrobe door, it makes enough noise to wake us up, it seems to work better than walking over us.

Unfortunately our bunch start asking about 2 hours before their feeding time in the afternoon, and we are often woken about 6am by copious scratching at the bedroom door in advance of their breakfast at about 6.30. When the door is finally open, at least 4 cats and 2 dogs come rushing in.

Our cat starts fairly quietly in the morning (about 6:30) by sitting on the bed-walking around a bit. By about 6:45 if there is no movement he starts scrabbling around on the bedside table,moving things around. By about 7 he decides to sharpen his claws on a beam with quite a bit of noise. If all else fails he goes downstairs and disturbs the dog who then joins in. That's when we give in and get up!!

Our moggie sleeps in the sitting room where there is a nice log burner, his staff are upstairs in the servants quarters.

He goes out when he wants to via a cat flap, he eats when he wants to via dried food and water available all the time and he sleeps and sleeps and sleeps.

Luckily all our cats sleep outside, but the younger of our two dogs can tell the time and starts whining at the bottom of the stairs at 8.15 am. If the donkeys don't hear the door open (said dog and I going for a walk) by 8.40 am they start - three braying donkeys just can't be ignored[:-))] They are then content to wait until we get back, just as long as they know I'm up!

Our cats just try climbing into bed with us in the morning, but the dog has it down to a fine art he stands on the edge of his steel tea bowl and lets it clatter and bang until he either gets his cup of tea in the afternoon or his dinner at lunch time......

Our dog - Amber - does stretching and 'talks' to remind us it's dinner time ( usually 6pm)  and brings her collar when she wants to go out.  She also moans and paces about around 11pm. telling us it's time for bed. Sometimes wonder who's the 'boss' in our house.

• 2 weeks later...

My cat gets fed twice a day , no fixed time he just comes and tells me how much he loves me and I get up and feed him. He also has water and dried food to snack during the day. He has a few different types of showing me he loves me , thereis cupboard love , Im cold and tired so just cuddle me and keep me warm kind of love, some one scared me so let me sleep with my head under your arm kind of love , my belly needs rubbing kind of love , and mum I love you kind of love .... he's like a book so easy to read ....

My dog also gets fed twice aday , once while I make our breakfast and the second time when she comes to ask for it normally between 4pm and 7pm. She is very good at asking for what she wants she will come and moan quietly to me and hop from paw to paw.  I say show me what you want and she will go to the door for a walk or her bowl for food or toy box if she wants to play. but recently she surprised me by going to the cupboard where I keep her pills and asked for them. She has pills for pain which shes has half of with each meal , So I gave her a extra half and she went and laid back down happierly. We had done some serious walking the day before so I guess she knew what she wanted ...   

[quote user="Pads"]So I gave her a extra half ... We had done some serious walking the day before so I guess she knew what she wanted ...  [/quote]

Gosh Pads ... that is one seriously perceptive/intelligent female dog you have there.

Sue

Some times to clever , she knows how to open the fridge and the latch on the pantry door, I go out on different days each week , yet is always by the car 15mins before I leave , just to make sure she dosnt get left behind.... Also weather in France or England she knows when emmerdale is starting and will run in to the living sit on the sofa and wait for the telly to be put on. how she knows the time difference is beyond me . Everyone who gets to know her says she is very human maybe I spend far to much time with her . But I love her to bits.  

Slightly off subject I know but.......

A pub I used to frequent had a customer who had rescued Irish Wolf hounds and he would visit of an evening with the dog.

He would come in, ask for two pints of bitter and the metal bowl on the shelf. He would place the bowl on the floor and pour the first pint in. Whilst he was drinking his pint the dog would speedily drink its pint. It would then start clattering the bowl for more, at which point he would pour half a pint of his beer in to the bowl and the dog would quickly polish it off.

He would also tell the tale of a previous dog he had. They had been down the pub one evening and each had drunk 8 pints. He staggered home with the dog, he fell in the door and collapsed and the dog, who was OK had his dinner.

Paul

[quote user="Ejc"] the dog has it down to a fine art he stands on the edge of his steel tea bowl and lets it clatter and bang until he either gets his cup of tea in the afternoon or his dinner at lunch time......[/quote]

Where I lived in the UK, a neighbour moved in across the snicket. His house had a concrete yard facing my bedroom window and he had 3 rottweilers which he left out in the yard all night with metal bowls, and that's what they played at when they got bored of barking and howling. Neighbour must have had cloth ears. I never had a decent night's sleep all the time he lived there, which fortunately was only about 6 months because towards the end I was lying awake thinking up schemes to hide aspirins inside lumps of meat... I know it wasn't the rotties' fault but I hated those dogs like I'd never hated anything in my life before. In fact during those 6 months I learned several slightly disturbing things about what being driven to the limit can do to a normally rational and soft-hearted person.