Bringing a puppy to to France perminantly

Purple-Jimbo

What is the official line on bringing a dog or a puppy to france permanently? There seems to be so many different opinions on this topic and most internet resources seem out of date or only provide information for those wishing to take a dog to France on holiday.

We have friends who have brought dogs over without any paperwork, and they took advice from the French embassy before they travelled, I have also bought a dog with a full passport to France and he wasn't checked once.

Can anyone define exactly what the rules are and provide a source?

Well it wouldn't matter if you needed to do this permanently or on holiday it would be the same procedure. And as far as I am aware, dogs needs anti rabies jabs before coming to France.

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Introduire-ou-reintroduire-mon,17662

Here, this is what the french embassy in London say, so I am right. No paperwork? well unless it was a long time ago. If recent advice,then that was plain wrong and as you can see it is all written down clearly and the PDF file is quite clear.

Just because animals are not checked at the ports doesn't mean that they will not be. We were once checked at Dover, when returning to France with our 'french' dog. They went through all the paperwork.