Kitten peeing on bed

Mrs Trellis

Our lovely kitten is now 4 months old.  She uses a litter tray to poo but frequently pees on the bed, or sometimes the dogs' beds.  It's a nightmare - bad enough on the duvet but in summer it goes straight through to the mattress.

I keep her in the bedroom so I know what she is up to and she is not being bullied by the other cats.  I never catch her at it, so can't shout, clap hands or shift her onto the litter tray.  I know as soon as she's done it by the smell!

The only place we could shut her in is the bathroom and she'd hate that and cry.  She is so cuddly but we can't buy a new mattress every day!  OH says plastic sheet - too hot!  and anyway I don't know where to get one and the bed's a funny size.

Oh, that is so funny!!

Having a large menagerie, I sympathise with the OP. I'm afraid we just cover the bed during the day with plastic under a fresh quilt cover (quilt stored away in wardrobe) and deal  deal with any accidents that way. We aso keep a Vax handy for the carpets! Does she pee on the bed during the night while you are in it?

Can the kitten not now integrate a bit? They need to establish a pecking order and it would probably reduce your stress levels in one way and she would be happier being out of the bedroom.

Love the photo!   Wouldn't take him long to claw his way out!

I can shut the bedroom door in the daytime and kitten (still haven't decided on name for her, pretty, white and slightly fluffy).  She does  it early in the morning I think.  I just had a sheet round me last night and she did it again.  She can integrate but likes to be with me.  If she has the run of the house she also pees on the throw on the sofa, and in the dogs beds.  It's unpleasant having a smelly house!  

Do you have access to a large dog cage in which you could put the kitten, her litter tray and water overnight, in your bedroom? That way, she might get the idea that the tray was for both poo and wee.

We keep one erected permanently in the conservatory for ailing or fasting cats or dogs. They really are worth their weight in gold when you have 15 animals as we do!

love the photo! Peeing is territorial, one of my cats always did it on the spare bed despite having access to a litter tray and the great outdoors. I think it was one way to define 'her' space.

I sprayed plenty of Oust air freshener on the bed and surrounding area, and kept spraying, and now she doesn't go near the bed as the aerosol smell is so strong.