Rules for cat re-entering UK

SallyC

Hi, I am sure this has been covered before but I can't seem to find it. We are bringing our cat to France soon and there is confusion around the need for tapeworm and tick treatment prior to re-entry to the UK. I have spoken to my UK vet today and he says the cat needs to be treated by a French vet 1-5 days before return and his passport stamped accordingly by said vet. DEFRA only talks about dogs and worms and vets etc. my interpretation of this is that cats only need to have a microchip, a passport and a rabies vaccine within the last 3 years and no extra treatments. He does of course have his routine monthly treatments for ticks and fleas etc .

Can anyone who has brought a uk prepared cat back in to uk since the DEFRA requirements changed this January please advise me?

Many thanks......

I think you should do a google search for DEFRA and pet passports and everything you need to know is on there and cats are mentioned.

They are the ones who know, and I have not hesitated to call them in the past if I was confused about any of their rules.

I've just looked, they talk all about 'pets' and then suddenly say 'dogs' right at the end, how confusing and I too would be calling them about it too.

If nothing else if they still mean 'pets' rather than just 'dogs' they need to change the wording.

[quote user="SallyC"]Thanks for replying Idun. I have looked at DEFRA website and they say worm and tick pre return to uk only applies to dogs. I think I will ring them tomorrow![/quote]Mrs Rabbie is a vet. Tick treatment is no longer a requirement. Tapeworm treatment is still required for dogs. This is confirmed on the DEFRA website

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with your enquiries.    The DEFRA stuff is vaguely worded (at least in my view).

When we book our crossings I am going to try and get an answer from P&O,   as ultimately it's they who enforce the system.

But please keep us posted.

Hello again. I spoke to DEFRA today and the lady confirmed that cats DO NOT have to be treated by a vet in France prior to returning to the uk. I mentioned that the advice on the website was rather ambiguous and suggested they should add a statement along the lines of 'cats do not need to have tick or worm treatment administered by a vet in France' ! I think the ferrets are exempted now too but don't quote me on that!

Well actually it is in writing, there is only mention of dogs on the web site. But unless 'we' check on these things, we are left feeling uneasy that we have misinterpreted the 'rules'.

If I had been told what SallyC was told, I'd think it OK and would travel accordingly.

To my mind the DEFRA webpage was clear and unambiguous. It started by giving the rules and procedures to be followed by people wishing to bring dogs, cats and ferrets into the UK from EU and some other listed countries. The final paragraph then stated that for dogs only the tapeworm treatment was required 1-5 days before entering the UK unless you came directly ftom Finland, Ireland or Malta..

Yes, the woman I spoke to gave me the call reference number that can be accessed if there are problems. Does anyone actually have any experience of them still checking the pet passport for evidence of de-ticking and worming?

So practical experience tells us that CATS STILL need some treatment (pads' experience),   whereas the "unambiguously" worded DEFRA website "suggests" that they don't,  (but doesn't actually say "Cats still need to present their passports in order to confirm that their rabies injections are up to date,  but are otherwise exempt from any further controls").

Personally I would describe this as a complete MUDDLE but obviously Rabbie wouldn't agree!   Actually SHAMBLES would be a better word.

Not trying to be difficult here, but when govt depts can't even express themselves without confusion no wonder we're in such a muddle!

And I STILL don't really know what I'm supposed to do.   Finding out at Calais at 8.30 in the evening is a bit late methinks.......

Am I being REALLY idiotic here....?

Hmmm, thanks for all the replies and discussion. Actually, I feel no further forward, the English vet did tell me that DEFRA were 'difficult'!! Cat will be visiting French vet 4 days prior to departure for appropriate treatments and a nice note in his passport. I don't want any trouble at Calais/ Caen or anywhere else thanks! Thanks again all.

I think that's what we'll do SallyC - although our "little tyrant" doesn't have to come back to Britain until July.   We'll probably treat him as for last year,   and then nab the check-in people at P&O once we're at Calais and say "He's actually treated as per last year's rules,  but what ACTUALLY can we/can't we get away with now?"

It's actually a great help if the 48/24 hour rule has been relaxed,   a trip to the vet was always an added burden when trying to pack everything else (car/house) up.

PLEASE let us know how you get on,  and when I ring P&O next week to book up I will try and get info from their side and report back.

I still maintain that this is a complete and utter shambles and that DEFRA (not for the first time) are......  oh well,  can't be bothered.  You all probably know what I think.

The confusion seems to be caused by the fact that DEFRA have relaxed the rules but the people at the ferry companies who have to check that pets comply are not fully up to date with the changes.

Personally I would play it safe and have my cat treated for tapeworm to avoid any problems when boarding. Besides I wouldn't want any of my animals to have tapeworms.

The confusion seems to be caused by the fact that DEFRA have relaxed the rules but the people at the ferry companies who have to check that pets comply are not fully up to date with the changes.

Thats why I suggested getting it in writing - the last thing anyone would want is an official not au fait with the rules on say an Easter Sunday.....with everywhere closed the next day too....

[quote user="Judie"]I'm sorry, but for me it seems quite clear here

Maybe I'm seeing it too simply.

[/quote]

But it would be even clearer if they had added the wording I suggested in an earlier post.   And the fact that Pads' cat was still checked suggests that it's anything but clear to others.   It's what it DOESN'T say about cats that should be amended.

As I say,  I'll try and get an answer from P&O next week.

Hi, i have just received our predeparture Email from Brittany Ferries. They are far more expliicit than DEFRA. They say cats do Not Need any tick or tapeworm treatment just rabies vaccine, chip and passport.

[quote user="Martin963"]And the fact that Pads' cat was still checked suggests that it's anything but clear to others.   It's what it DOESN'T say about cats that should be amended. [/quote]

There is this from the bottom of the page Judie mentioned:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/2011/06/30/pb13582-bringing-pets-into-uk/

and the pdf file from that page at least has a photo of a cat on it :

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/pb13582-bringing-pets-to-uk-120229.pdf

Sue