Chicken Laying 365 days a year

mary

Can anyone help me out here please.

My mother insists that in the Uk, you can now buy a chicken which is guaranteed to lay everyday of the year. She can't remember the breeds name , but she assures me it was on the TV. It's become a bit of a obsessive argument when I tell my mum the girls aren't laying as they are moulting.

I don't see how this is possible when it takes 25\26 hours to produce an egg, they don't lay when they moult and need at least14/16 hours of daylight.

Has anyone else hear of this? I have done a google search with no results.

Thanks in advance

In England we had what were called "Warren Cross" - basically a hybrid breed, the same sort of chickens that were/are used for the battery hens and were bred for their egg laying capabilities. We used to liberate 2-3 each year , they were about 3.75 each for a point of lay.

Yes, on the whole, they would produce an egg a day, or maybe 6 in 7. But they have to be happy chickens (i.e. warm, watered and well fed) and, certainly once they got over 18 months old the egg production dropped (not many survived this long as the foxes/dogs used to get them).

Here in France our chickens are a bit of a mixed bag of breeds and will certainly stop laying as often when the days reduce in length/they moult/or get broody

Thank you for your response, but these are a new breed of Chicken. I think in the last 6 months. I can't find any info on them and I doubt I can buy them here in France.

I just wondered if anyone knew what they were and if in the small print it stated, 'Not when moulting etc' lol

It must be pointed out that the commercial units have the hens until the first moult and then sell them off to meat companies.

Unless your mother can remember the name of the breed (or the program on the telly) we're a bit stuffed. I can't find any reference to new hybrid chucks that have been released onto the market in the last 6 months. ISA Warrens??

Are you actively looking at buying these things? or is it just an end to argument you are looking for? I never argue with my mother as she just turns deaf when I start to win [Www]

no, not looking to buy them....just fed up with hearing how fantastic this chicken is!!

I can't find anything either. I think I will just turn deaf ears when she mentions it yet again!!!

Funny how they become chicken experts when they don't even own any!!