Don't sleep with........

Quillan

My early days in France, pregnant and one of the first blood tests I had was to test for toxoplasmosis. I was given a list of things to avoid, unpasturised cheeses, undercooked meat, charcuterie, undercooked lamb and cats.

A friend of mine in France, was a nurse. She and two colleagues were all pregnant at the same time and all caught toxoplasmosis, they suspected from unwashed salad at the hospital resto. One baby was fine, my friend's son had many scars on his scalp from surgery that he had needed when younger and with a good mop of hair you couldn't see them and he seemed absolutely fine and was fine...........and the third baby was severly handicapped.

WHY is this news now in the UK. IT IS NOT! This particular nasty has been around for a very long time, even in the UK.

We took our cat to France. I love having a cat at home.[:D]

Ok, so they suggest that some "experts" advise not having cats at all in homes with young children - sounds really scary...

Yet in another article in the Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/qa-toxoplasma--what-can-be-done-8102717.html

It says that only 1 per cent of cats are infected at any one time.....

I wouldn't claim to be a maths or statistics expert, but that doesn't seem to add up to me....

I shall continue cuddling my cats!

Lou

• 3 weeks later...
When I was first pregnant I was tested for toxoplasmosis and found to be immune.  The midwife said most people who had cats and dogs as pets as a child were found to be immune but that they tested because though an infection might only present as a mild flu, if you got it whilst pregnant there could be serious damage to the baby and so if you weren't already immune you had to avoid certain things.  This article reads as if it's an ongoing infection / parasite rather than something you catch, fight off and become immune to.  So I'm confused and off to do more reading.....