Dog remains.

Jo

It looks like time is finally catching up with our little dog Shauna, she was diagnosed with an aggressive mouth cancer just before we moved here over two years ago, we were told she might have a few months, she has so enjoyed life here, and OH's retirement, she has kept going, kept knocking the growth off. Now it seems it is invading her nose, and it will shortly be time to call the vet. I would like her put down at home as she hates the clinic, no problem, but someone has told me you can't keep the body to bury if it's over a certain size? Has anyone heard of this as I would like to bury her in the garden. She is a collie X lab, but more small collie than lab.

Jo, I am sorry to hear about your Shauna.  It's good that you can think ahead.  It is indeed much, much, much more preferable to have the deed done at home where they feel secure and not in the clinical surroundings chez veterinaire.

I know that if and when I have to make the decision for my dog, I wouldn't care what the "rules" rules because I shall not be in a mood to be argued with.

Edit:  However, it's only fair to add that mine is "toute petite"; at least that is the phrase I use when booking hotel rooms or restaurant tables!

Pour un animal de plus de 40 kg, vous n’aurez pas d’autre solution que d’avertir aussitôt un équarrisseur afin qu’il vienne retirer la dépouille de votre animal dans les 48 heures (Article L. 226-6 du Code rural). Les coordonnées des entreprises chargées de la collecte des cadavres d’animaux sont affichées en mairie. Il vous en coûtera de 80 à 180 €.

When our dog died, the vet was lovely, he put her to sleep and then waited until she was fast asleep and then gave the lethal injection and she passed. I left the body there. There was only a dead body left and not 'her'. So I wasn't interested in taking her body home, there again, according to those rules, I could not have anyway.

Many thanks for your replies sweet 17 and idun, While I agree with you that I would love to argue the point and keep her, I wouldn't like to get the vets into any trouble as they no doubt have paperwork to fill out!

However it looks like it won't be a problem as she is under 20 kg, and according to your link idun, I'll be alright.

I know she will have gone but with my OH very ill in hospital, if it has to be done before he gets back, I would like him to have somewhere in the garden where he could say goodbye to her.

How well I understand what you are saying, Jo, and I do hope that your OH will be back on his feet and at home very soon.

When one of our 2 cats died and was buried in our garden in Wales, I couldn't move house until the other one (they were as elderly as each other) also died and was buried alongside.

I couldn't leave the house and leave my poor Timmy on his own until Tom went to keep him company.

Sentimental nonsense?  Perhaps, but in my grief, I couldn't think rationally and I couldn't have done otherwise.

Jo, So sorry to hear about your cat. As if you didn't have enough to worry about without that. Mrs Rabbie is a vet and she always sedates the animal before putting it down. It does make for a much less unpleasant experience so make sure your vet does that.

I hope your OH makes a good recovery and best wishes for 2013

So sad for you to have to part with her at this time, when your husband is ill too. But it sounds as though it will be kinder to end her suffering.

Useful to know (thanks idun) that below 40kg you can bury at home.

I dread the day our little sweetheart has to leave us. Just enjoy our pets while we can and keep happy memories later.

Jo - sad time for you - not going to say any more........

But - PLEASE PLEASE take note of what Rabbie has said.   Do INSIST (sorry for caps but Very Very Important) - that the vet sedates your pet FIRST - before administering the (sorry) - lethal dose.   

There are several threads on this, and other Forums, from pet owners very concerned over the way French vets have carried out this sad task.    There are NO guarantees that any French vet will sedate first;   please be aware of this;   watching your pet in terrible distress at the end because the French vets do not do what UK vets do is the stuff of nightmares.

I didn't know - until it happened to my beloved cat....... 

I do now - and I would INSIST on sedation first.

Chessie

Jo mine and my OH thoughts are with you at this very sad and painful time which I presume is made harder by you concern over your other half as well as his not being their so that you both share the burden.

Do not let your dog suffer - perhaps your vet will guide you when it is time.

Always amazes me how some peoples attitude is that it is only a dog, cat etc - they certainly miss out on what a pet can bring.

Paul

Chessie, many thanks for the warning, my friend who uses the same vet as me had to have his little dog put down, they did sedate him first and it was very peaceful.

I made that mistake once before PaulT, putting my needs before my pet, so much as I would like her to hang on so OH can see here one more time, I will be guided by the vet.

Chessie is right Jo.  A good vet will always sedate first.  Also a good vet will not push you into unnecessary treatments, tests to prolong things for the sake of owners - you have to consider your pet's quality of life first and foremost.   Hard as it is, it is often the last kindness for a much loved pet to make the right decision at the right time, knowing that you have shared many wonderful times together.

Jouals

Jo, please accept my apologies for getting Shauna's species wrong. I had Sw17 post in front of me and got it wrong. Jouals has IMO got it absolutely right. It is the last kindness to let your pet go with dignity and to prevent unnecessary suffering. If only all owners were as sensible.

Do SO agree with you Rabbie, I got it wrong once, never again. I was given this poem which I find helps....

If it should be that I grow weak,

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then you must do what must be done

For this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad I understand

Don't let you grief then stay your hand,

For this day more than all the rest

Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years

What is to come can hold no fears,

You'd not want me to suffer so

The time has come please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend

And please stay with me till the end,

Hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see

The kindness that you do for me,

Although my tail it's last has waved

From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve it must be you

Who has this painful thing to do,

We've been so close us two, these years

Don't let your heart hold back it's tears.

• 2 weeks later...
Our vet was wonderful when it was time for my old labrador to go (he had chronic arthritis in his rear end and couldn't cope any more). I took him to the practice and the vet came out to our estate car where my darling boy was lying; he gave him an injection to sedate him and I was able to sit and talk to him and stroke him until he fell asleep. The vet then came back and gave him the lethal dose and made sure all had 'worked'. He was so kind, and I'll never forget that. I brought him home and we buried him in a lovely spot in the garden.

My thoughts are with you. I have a copy of the poem Jo posted and although it is sad it sums it all up perfectly.

• 3 months later...
After my OH lost his battle in January, his little dog, Shauna, has finally gone to join him. The vet came to the house, sedated her and waited for her to sleep. Then gave her the last injection. She died very peacefully in her bed and is buried in the garden. She has done so well given her original prognosis, but it's nice they are back together.

Jo the best wishes of all our household are with you.

When our last dog died and was cremated the vets gave us his ashes in a wooden box. We decided to scatter his ashes over some rocks by a beach he had loved in Cornwall.

When Judy and I were next in Cornwall (en route to a posh-ish do), we detoured to the beach, clambered down the cliff and I tried to open the box but the damn thing was superglued together (or was just solid wood). Judy said that the dog would have laughed to see me banging the box on the rocks in the vain attempt to open it.

It is now buried in our garden.