Whippet Pup

John Brown

I would like to buy a Whippet Puppy this year and would welcome any advice.

I've kept dogs and the breed before so its more about sourcing the dog than its welfare

I'm keen to have a true breed but I'm not interested in pedigree, showing the dog or future breeding

It will just be a pet and companion

Ideally it would be a female and light fawn or blue in colour

I had an idea of buying a pup in the UK and bringing it here overland but it seems a big ask from a puppy ( 2 days travel )

JB

Great choice! My daughter in the UK recently got a little blue boy, and he's gorgeous and no trouble at all (well, not much!) She also went for a pup from pedigree parents, but not registered, as she doesn't intend to breed from him. She bought him from a private family in Hull, and paid £200. Just a thought, there's an overnight ferry from Zeebrugge to Hull, (P&O), the route we usually take, and they have kennels on board, where you can visit your pet regularly. From here in the Limousin there is only a 10km difference between Calais and Zeebrugge.

Thanks Bobdude,

Of the dogs we have had the whippet was a bit special. The only thing we gave ground on with it was it needed to sleep at my son's feet at night.

Thats probably in their genes from when coal miners kept them for rabbiting and thats where they slept along with a Jack Russell

Could you email with their phone number or email address. I can wait for the next litter !

Hull to Zeebrugge is my prefered route and I could stay on route at Orleans to break the journey up

Thanks again, John

There is a whippet association in France which lists breeders throughout the country (see http://www.clubduwhippet.com/page37.html) and I see there is one in Limousin who has a litter available now. There is a website with pictures of the pups. I should imagine most of the dogs from the listed breeders are registered pedigrees but they may well have some puppies which while being normal and healthy do not measure up to show or breeding standards which would not worry you at all.  Good luck with the search!

Val

• 4 weeks later...
I'd love to have a whippet but don't want a puppy. We had a retired greyhound and have had other rescued dogs. I got the impression that whippets are popular so not many are in rescue centres.

I fear there might be a problem getting one from the UK - they couldn't do a home visit to see if we are suitable!

Would you consider adopting a whippet?  There are plenty of rescue organisations in France seeking homes for dogs, including whippets.  For example:

http://www.levriers-co.fr/

It would not take long to track one down, I am sure! 

Also be very, very careful about buying dogs/pups advertised on Leboncoin - they are not always what they seem!  Many dogs/puppies are trafficked into France and it is a huge problem - so beware.  Not all breeders advertising on there are reputable.

A search on Google etc for lévrier/whippet/podenco/galgo/rescue/en détresse will throw up all sorts of possibilities to adopt and help an abandoned dog in the process.

Jouals

Exactly Jouals, I would love to adopt a whippet but not a greyhound this time. I loved our greyhound but even though he was small for a male racer, I could not lift him. And I'm 10 years older now! We currently have two elderly (as far as anyone can tell) rescue dogs so will probably wait till they pass on before taking on another dog.

Stop it! Sorely tempted but we have a somewhat difficult dog, plus a rescued poodle, plus 4 cats... We have to go to UK in the summer for a family do and cattery + kennels will cost a fortune. Where is the rescue place? Or would the dog be brought from Spain to a rendezvous somewhere?

• 1 month later...
After a flight back to the UK and a 5 hour drive up to Scotland I've finally got my Whippet Pup

She's with family while the 21 days elapses for her Rabies Injections to count and then it's a 2 day journey back to her new home

Her pet name is Maya and her KC name is Dumyat Highland Lassie

Her parents are both Blue's and her brothers are the same so maybe her one and only litter will produce a few Blue's but that's for the future

[URL=http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/Granddad23/media/Log%20Burner/Maya-DumyatHighlandLassie.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h415/Granddad23/Log%20Burner/Maya-DumyatHighlandLassie.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Anyone suggest the best age for a whippet to have a litter

Not car sick and waited till we stopped to go to the toilet so, so far so good

Many thanks for everyones help

John