Windy Collie

sueyh

Please please can anyone suggest what we can do to stop our Border Collie's wind problem (please no suggestions of buying him a kite). He eats exactly the same as our other two dogs (Ridgeback and Pedigree Heinz 57 varieties) but every day we are overcome by a green fug that rises from the rear end of the Border Collie. He eats complete food croquettes (breckies volailles et legumes).

Many thanks in advance

Suey

Our dog used to have terrible gas, cured as already mentioned by a change of diet. Also adding a little tinned pumpkin to his food helped.

I understand it’s important to not overlook regular worming. Parasites can be a cause of intestinal problems and cause gas.

We feed our border collie on raw chicken joints (very cheap from our local Aldi) and dechets animaux from Intermarche. He has a few 'Friskies' biscuits, to balance things up but it is mainly raw meat which keeps him going. He has a lovely healthy look, with a shiny cost, good, white teeth and doesn't have 'dog-breath'. It's interesting but when we took him to the UK last year he went onto croquettes for the journey and everything went downhill, he had bad breath, wind and loose bowels. So a change of diet might indeed be worth trying.

Can dogs contract Giardia or the canine equivalent?

I have had it twice and felt perfectly well apart from the keynote symptoms of Wind and explosive stools, quite a party piece [:P]

I eat loads of fruit and veg now which creates a lot of gas and some like topinambour create a lot more but nothing compared to what the tiny parasites of Giardia can do to an otherwise healthy person.

• 2 weeks later...