when your pet grows old...........

mint

It's just as inevitable as growing old yourself, but I had the most tremendous shock at the vet's yesterday.

And, no, I am NOT talking about the EIGHT euros that he charged me for one single comprimé for worms.

He said that my little dog has developed cataracts!!  I reeled and was too shocked to ask if they could be operated on!  Does anyone know the answer?

She is now 12 but is still so active (2 walks daily) and seems in such good form that I had been very complacent that she is not actually aging (yes, I know, ridiculous!!!)

It is such a shock and I am now anxious and on edge.

We had two cats and one was 21 and the other 18 when they were eventually put down.  That was some 12 years ago but, the thought of them continues to hurt me and the grief can still be very sharp.

I think what I mind most is the thought that her beautiful brown eyes will be dimmed and filmed over...............how dreadful!  They are absolutely her most beautiful physical feature (I am leaving out her affectionate and loyal nature at this stage) and it seems beyond cruel to me that they will be closed one day!

Dreading the inevitable; I know I am foolish but there it is..........

Hmmm, difficult subject. However, for your dog, take a biscuit and put it on a high ledge and see if she can see it. If so, no problem.

12 is ok for a spaniel, she should have a bit longer yet if looked after; they do prefer rump steak ad decent rabbit of course, no sugar, best spot on the bed...... it keeps them going longer.

Lets not talk about this until much later; it is Xmas after all.

Our Jack Russell has just reached 17 and has had his first illness, if you ignore the self-inflicted occasional damage caused by getting stuck down rabbit holes over the years. We had started to think he was indestructible until he developed a heart problem a few months ago.

He is quite deaf but still looks as fit as a flea, eats normally and is very active - too active, it seems, for his own good. He can go for walks, run around the garden, etc without problem except that the walks are getting shorter. But we have had to fit a child stair gate now as if he climbs stairs, he immediately suffers a heart attack at the top. Being a Jack Russell, he doesn't understand this, of course, so will bound up stairs faster than any of us, given the chance, and then finds himself in great trouble which is a very distressing experience for all.

But provided he takes his tablets and we confine him to ground level (or carry him upstairs!), the vet reckons he could go on quite happily for another year or so. If he reaches the stage where he is suffering needlessly, we will do the kind thing, and then suffer ourselves accordingly.

'Dreading the inevitable; I know I am foolish but there it is..........'

Of course it is not foolish - there are some people who just have pets and when they get fed up with them they get rid of them. On the other hand some people treat them as part of the family and Mint I think you come in to the latter.

At 12 the vet may think that anaesthetic may be a problem thus ruling out operating. However, dogs have a considerable greater sense of smell and therefore eyesight is not as important as with humans.

That's a good tip about the furniture, Pommier.

OH and I were also told we had cataracts (not by the vet but by the ophthalmologue [:)])but somehow it's not such a shock as our poor dog developing them!

Yes, will ask the vet next visit.  I was so taken aback and trying to calm the dog down as she hates going to the vet's and she'd just had her injections and check-upand was pulling to get out the door, that I couldn't think clearly.

He'd OK'd a few lumps and bumps (fatty cysts) and I was so relieved that subconsciously I didn't want answers!

That's a good tip about the furniture, Pommier.

OH and I were also told we had cataracts (not by the vet but by the ophthalmologue [:)])but somehow it's not such a shock as our poor dog developing them!

Yes, will ask the vet next visit.  I was so taken aback and trying to calm the dog down as she hates going to the vet's and she'd just had her injections and check-upand was pulling to get out the door, that I couldn't think clearly.

He'd OK'd a few lumps and bumps (fatty cysts) and I was so relieved that subconsciously I didn't want answers!

• 1 month later...
Yes, coincidentally just returned from vets because our dog (nearly 9, but quite big) has a large lump under her armpit. Sprung out of nowhere.

The vet has advised removal, so she is booked in for Monday, but I am really wondering if I have made the right decision. She is petrified of the vet and seems to take forever to come out of anaesthetic which clearly frightens her.

Now I have been reading on internet that it may not be necessary to remove fatty lumps .... I think he is worried it will get bigger and hinder her movements. I wish I had a vet friend, got plenty of doctor friends, but no vets !!!

Londoneye, fingers crossed for your dog.

Ours has developed these lumps on thigh, back and a couple of other places.  However, they are not anywhere that would hinder movement, unlike your dog's which is under her armpit and possibly a nuisance to her.

An anxious weekend then chez londoneye.  You have my every sympathy.

Mint,

I have no idea about cataracts with dogs, sorry, nor the age at which dogs might get something usually belonging to old age, or increased sunlight levels .... which is what to a certain extent hurried on my own cataracts ... now nicely operated upon as you might remember.

I can only say that you ask your vet what is best, and perhaps get ready for the ageing of your pet ... not nice to accept, but one must be realistic after all ... I've not had a pet for many years ... and find it hard to sympathise with those who are devoted to them though I do have such friends!!, maybe treatment will work and be a lifesaver, but it may be better to let age take its own way as treatment can be worse than the illness - sometimes.

Keep smiling, I'm sure all will be well.

Our dog had cataracts, in fact when we 'really' looked we could see that her eyes were getting cloudier. They didn't affect her life though to be honest, as her nose was still good.

Didn't know about sunlight, although there is something called Doggles available

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=127&pf_id=2067

sure that a search for doggles'll find lots of other vendors

Mint,

I believe that cataracts can be hurried by sunlight - yes.  In my case, I was very short sighted, cataracts are always likely earlier in short sighted people.  Secondly, I could not find sunglasses to wear on top of my glasses, and, no, the cost of a second pair of dark prescriptions glasses, or even photochromic was too much, so I did without sunglasses, and obviously once here, saw much more sun than in the UK.  There was no sign of cataracts when I left the UK, within 2-3 years here, they were developing - fast. I was still pretty young for cataracts, but I put it down to the two factors above. OH also had cataracts at a relatively young age - he too was short sighted (though not as bad as me), but more importantly, he loved to sunbathe, and never wore sunglasses ... and that was in the UK, where he had them done.

So yes, age, sunlight and, at least in humans, short sightedness, are all factors  known to speed the arrival of cataracts.  Cannot see why the first two should not also be applicable to animals ... 

At one point I used to have the clip on type sun glasses that went on my ordinary sun glasses, but for the last twenty years I have these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/over-glasses-sunglasses/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aover%20glasses%20sunglasses

I also have some 'yellow' ones like these for driving at night, I missed it when they changed the headlamps to white ones in France.

We adopted an old dog who was already blind in one eye due to cataract. Our vet said it would be hundreds of euros for an operation, but not all cases are suitable. The dog manages pretty well, sometimes bumps into things and we bump into him as forget he doesn't see us coming. The other eye has a cataract coming. He does seem to follow our other dog when outside.

Please, londoneye, no apologies necessary; threads are meant to be hi-jacked after all[:)]. 

I shall think of you and your dog on Monday.  If you feel you want to, do come back and tell us about the op and your dog?

bon courage

Yes, Idun, I did have some of those, but difficult to keep  on, and only used towards the end when the cataracts made sunlight impossible to see through for driving.  I also tried countless clip-ons over the years, they were almost impossible to fit over my very thick (At edges) lenses, and the extra layer also changed my vision to the extent that they were dangerous.  My eyes were so bad, even before the cataracts, that the lenses (even the thinnest they could make, thus expensive),  and the fit really mattered, otherwise my vision was compromised.  When you have comparatively little vision in the first place, you do nothing to make day to day vision worse ... happily with my new eyes, the problem has been resolved by prescription sunglasses and photochromic varifocals (yes, I do still need glasses), but happily also I can now see to walk around without glasses (with minor out of focus) but can afford to have several pairs, along with my posh varifocals - reading, distance (to be kept in car for driving) all of which have to be prescription as standard reading glasses don't work) but hey, much cheaper than before!

Perhaps, in the light of this posting, someone should design specs for dogs!

My older dog and I have just been conversing on this subject; he is furious with you lot for even mentioning age, even though he is now older than me, and wishes you to stop this horrible thread. He says he is still as young and fast and fit as when he was six months old, and he still loves to kiss on the mouth, full tongues down throat and all.

So, please guys, have some respect for our not so dumb and sensitive friends!

Well, my older dog was not so old that she didn't make the normal show of herself at the vet this morning when she went in for her op ..

Two vets required to drag her down the corridor to the temple of doom ... how bad do I feel..

Anyway, apparently all went well and we can collect her at 3.30 this afternoon. They probably wish we could collect her much earlier actually, as I have no doubt she is making a terrible nuisance of herself and looking forward to chicken for dinner. She knows she always gets chicken when she has been subjected to the torture place.