We have just found a beautiful converted barn

which we'd love to buy but it lacks one

essential for us - a fireplace / chimney. We

have been told that it's possible to install

a woodburner + flue & would love to do this:

can anyone tell me if this is feasible? The

barn is quite high & there is a house very

close behind it...would planning permission

be hard to obtain? We're in Pas de Calais.

Many thanks for your help.

I expect you'll need permission because it will affect the external appearance of the house/barn, but I expect it will be a formality - but it depends on the department, whether there is a i in the jour etc...

Ease of installation, that depends on the internal structure of your barn and where you want the stove. Do you want the flue inside or outside the house (inside will keep the heat in the house longer). Will it be near a wall that you can secure it to? etc etc.

It is my understanding that you can install a double lined stainless steel flue either internally or exteranally if the flue exits externally thruogh the wall you can simply take the flue to a point one metre (as I recall it) above any window height, or if your going through the roof either build a proper stack at roof level or (again as I recall it) false stacks can be purchased from the same manufactuer as the pipe

I know this is availible in england from most builders merchants and the information availible with it tells you all of the English regulations, as regards the French regs someone else might be able to tell you, but the principle of operation will be the same

I know it works and works well the only real downside is the price it allways was relatively expensive stuff

Hpoe this helps

[quote]It is my understanding that you can install a double lined stainless steel flue either internally or exteranally if the flue exits externally thruogh the wall you can simply take the flue to a point o...[/quote]

On solid fuel appliance boilers up to 45kw, the chimney termination point is 600mm minimum from ridge.On external chimneys ie up the wall the chimney terminal must clear the roof by 2.3m ,translated into layman terms means from the guttering on a 45degree angle roof the chimney must rise up to 1m to give the 2.3m clearance if you're using twinwall flue pipe it must be supported at 1.5 m with rigid stays above the last solid fixture, other regs come in with opening windows etc.Happy flueing.

The house we bought has a wood-burning stove with glass door (=insert) but after we came home and started thinking about it we wondered where the chimney was...?! In the room immediately above the stove, there is no chimney stack/recess but there is a small grate in the floor. A bit worried now, sounds daft but it never occured to us there was no chimney! Presumably warm air comes up into the room above, but where does the smoke go?!

The house was previously inhabited by a young couple with 2 little ones, and there are charred letters in the stove so we know they used it. We've studied our photos and can't see any flue-type thing outside, and don't remember seeing one. Please tell us this is normal?! We won't be going back until Jan to reassure ourselves!

If a chimney is not possible then Oliger do lovely ceramic stoves that are heated by electricity. If you can do the chimney they also do stoves that can be heated by electricity and wood!!!!!!!!!!! amazing!

Not cheap but they certainly look the part.

Oliger SA -40 Rue du Stade 57820 St. Louis (Moselle)

no website .. tel 03 87 07 90 26 fax 03 87 07 97 97 for the catalogue.

Does anyone else collect stove catalogues? I am the proud owner of the Oliger and Godin catalogues and am awaiting the one from Jotul.

We have a beautiful old stove in our kitchen but would dearly like to put a stove in our sitting room fire place one day. Meanwhile I sit and dream!

Gill

[quote]The house we bought has a wood-burning stove with glass door (=insert) but after we came home and started thinking about it we wondered where the chimney was...?! In the room immediately above the sto...[/quote]

Don't know if this helps, but we are having a stove put in and the chimney was behind the wall in the upstairs bedroom but not in the downstairs.  It is possible (we are told)  to route the fire through the ceiling downstairs and up through the chimney upstairs I believe.

We don't have a fireplace downstairs but think this will now be possible.

Georgina

Is it not possible to put the flue directly outside from the back of the stove? We are thinking of buying a wood burning stove (I love the smell of wood smoke!) but don't have a chimney in our barn either, and as its an old columbage barn we're converting, I don't want huge industrial flues going up through one of the bedrooms. I had presumed that the flue could go straight out the back, but reading these postings I'm doubting this is the case... eeek, don't want electric as no nice smell!

Hi Eskenazi-we have a woodburner fitted just as you describe-the barn is very tall( not sure how tall-would make three stories I guess).We have a freestanding Godin with an incredibly long internal flue-supported against a wall.It looks great and makes the whole huge barn really warm because of the internal pipework.

[quote]We have just found a beautiful converted barnwhich we'd love to buy but it lacks oneessential for us - a fireplace / chimney. Wehave been told that it's possible to installa woodburner + flue & would ...[/quote]

We bought an old farmhouse which we had fallen in love with in the Alps. To do anything at all with the outside, ie. change windows, shutters etc we needed planning permission. The local Mairie were very helpful and told us everything we needed permission for and roughly how long it would take. No architect was needed although relatively professional looking drawings were required. Although we wanted to make many changes it eventually only took about 6 weeks for the planning permission to come through.

One of the changes we wanted to make was a new chimney. From the top of the fire to the top of the chimney is about 5/6 metres. As our room was so big we chose a foyer rather than a wood burning stove as it would have looked too small. If you find a stove chack whether the flue comes out of the top of the stove or from the back. Some come out in both places. A foyer is another way of having a wood burner but you would need a fireplace built as well. I'm not sure what look you'd prefer but it's always worth a look.

Sarah

[quote]We have just found a beautiful converted barnwhich we'd love to buy but it lacks oneessential for us - a fireplace / chimney. Wehave been told that it's possible to installa woodburner + flue & would ...[/quote]

We bought an old farmhouse which we had fallen in love with in the Alps. To do anything at all with the outside, ie. change windows, shutters etc we needed planning permission. The local Mairie were very helpful and told us everything we needed permission for and roughly how long it would take. No architect was needed although relatively professional looking drawings were required. Although we wanted to make many changes it eventually only took about 6 weeks for the planning permission to come through.

One of the changes we wanted to make was a new chimney. From the top of the fire to the top of the chimney is about 5/6 metres. As our room was so big we chose a foyer rather than a wood burning stove as it would have looked too small. If you find a stove chack whether the flue comes out of the top of the stove or from the back. Some come out in both places. A foyer is another way of having a wood burner but you would need a fireplace built as well. I'm not sure what look you'd prefer but it's always worth a look.

By the way, my husband has built the chimney and it hasn't cost as much as we were originally quoted for the insulated tubes. About 300 euros.

Sarah