Re-locating to france with 3 horses, 2 dogs and 5 cats

Ka

We are looking to move to france and wondered what the steps are for preparing and organising our animals.

We will use an international transport company for our horses but would like to take the 2 dogs and 5 cats in our car.

We would put the cats into a dog size cage for transport and the dogs can sit in the back of the car, we thought.

Do we need any documentation other than their passports after the relevant injections of course? Is it a problem with the numbers or are we ok to bring all pets?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

[quote user="Ka"]... but would like to take the 2 dogs and 5 cats in our car.

We would put the cats into a dog size cage for transport and the dogs can sit in the back of the car, we thought. [/quote]

I believe you might be OK with the 2 dogs in the back of the car as I have seen such arrangements on occasional ferry trips but the cats usually seem to need to have a basket each. You would need to check that out as my info could be out-of-date.

Also I believe that there is a maximum number of cats per car; though you would need to check that out too. We brought our 4 elderly cats with us when we left the UK though we had 2 cars, so had 2 cats per car - each in their own basket.

Careful you don't fall foul of the rules regarding importation of the cats as there is a number beyond which you are considered a breeder, which is a whole different scenario. Hopefully you will be lucky and the domestic limit will be 5.

Sue