Female lab x worry

mogs

She is a x lab aged 11 months.

Her first season started (bleeding) 4 weeks ago. She finished bleeding a week ago.

She's been contained in our garden for this time, except today, she managed to somehow escape for a bit less than an hour. When we went searching for her she returned, we don't know how she escaped.

My worry is during the lapse she may have mated. We don't want pups so what can we do?

I remember my mother taking an Alsatian [female dog] we had to the vet after she had been seen with a strange dog while she was on heat.

He gave her an injection, and billed it as for "mismated [female dog]". So I guess your first step must be the vet.

[Edited to cope with forum software censorship!]

[quote user="richard51"]Wait and see or talk to the vet. Simples.

NB X labs are lovely. We have one from a dogs home. Much better than the "real" thing.[/quote]

She is a rescue dog too, same age estimated as our chocolate lab puppy, we felt he needed another dog to play with and they've been good playmates.

We wanted to spay her before her season but our vet advised against.

They are both lovely dog's, each different in their own way but we are so lucky to have a super lovely X rescue.

I spoke to our vet this morning. Dog is booked in for a scan in 3 weeks.

Options offered if pregnant : 2 injections to cause termination, allow her to have puppies or to spay removing anything and everything.

Hopefully none of these options will be necessary.

[quote user="andyh4"]This may sound a silly question but if you don't want her to have any puppies, why not have her spayed?

I get sick of folk round here who don't spay or castrate their cats and we then end up with stray kittens arriving chez nous.[/quote]

As I explained before, we wanted to spay her before her season but our vet advised against and to wait until January so as to let her have one season. The reason for this is because spaying too early can cause incontinence. We know this can happen as our other female who died last year was spayed right at the end of her bleeding and she ended up being on hormonal pills for the rest of her life.

Believe me we have 4 cats and 2 dogs, all our animals are neutred/castrated etc. and she will be done too