Catteries

Mrs B

Hi,

Does anyone know of any good catteries in or close to the Narbonne area please? We have been looking hard, have only found two to date: one which houses all the cats in one single room and another which is located off a narrow beaten track and to be honest, does not look and smell clean. My French is rather limited so would prefer an English run/spoken cattery but happy to cope in my limited and badly spoken French if I have to :-)

Many thanks,

Mrs B

Sorry Mrs B but I cannot help specifically with sourcing a cattery.

What I can say is that when we first arrived on the continent we had the same issues. We did find a cattery that had individual pens and after the first short stay there were so appalled that we vowed never to return.

The next best was as you describe, a cattery where all the cats roamed together. Despite our hesitancy we tried it out and it worked well. We used this establishment many times afterwards - to the extent of getting rebates.

It will seem very daunting putting your beloved cats into a mix of any and all cats, but because this is "neutral" territory the fears I am sure you have are unlikely to become real. If they do, then I am sure the cattery owner will have a way of isolating any cats under stress.

Hi Andy,

Firstly, apologies for late reply, I have been having problems logging on. Thanks for you words of encouragement, we will keep it in mind but we are concerned how our cat will take to communal living with other cats as he is rather shy and timid. We will continue to look for a cattery with individual pens and keep our fingers crossed we will strike lucky

Regards,

Mrs B

We are lucky in having found a lovely cattery half an hour from us. We looked at one where the cats run together and didn't like the idea at all.

Apart from the total lack of infection control, cats don't usually get on in a large group. I have only three and we book two pens in the cattery because one does not get on with the others!

Have you looked on/posted on Anglo Info in your area? There is probably a Facebook group too. You could ask vets too.

• 3 years later...