Disability aids

Hi all

new here to the forum but am hoping to be here for a while.

I have had it in my head to move to France since 1999 and am now in the position where I can possibly make the move. What I would like to know is what do I do about my artificial leg(I know best take it with me to stop me falling over) would I have to go back to the UK to get it repaired if it was needed? if I want to do that would I need to be registered with a UK adress to enable me to use the services over here?

I have a whole load of questions about making the move but thought I would start with this one.

thanks for taking the time to read this.

john

Not a question that crops up frequently on this forum.....[;-)]

There will be no problem in having your artificial leg repaired in France.  The only issue is whether or not you will have to pay for the work.

Assuming you qualify for state medical insurance (do a forum search for advice on this), then provided your type of prothese is one which is approved and included on the List of Reimbursable Products and Benefits (the LPPR) then the cost of repairs and replacements are covered 100% by your state medical insurance and you'd have nothing to pay.  I'd expect a standard type prothese to qualify, but if your's includes a built-in Super Acme electrically operated swivel out tray for your glass of beer, then I imagine you'd be stuck with a bill.

My friend's husband (here) has an artificial leg and as SD says, all repairs, checkups and related problems etc are covered 100%, as he qualifies for state medical insurance.

I think he has a spare one too.

He lost the lower part of his right leg in an an industrial accident in the UK, before moving to France 20+ years ago.

Here in the Sarthe we have one of the most renowned centres in France for artifical limbs (which I myself attend although for different reasons).  Nobody pays just so long as they qualify for state medical insurance since, as Patf notes, it qualifies as an ALD.  I have a friend who was showing off his brand new C-Leg to me the other day (the things one talks about[:D]!) - seems it's one of the latest such devices around.  More info' about the centre here:

http://www.ch-arche.fr/index.php/accueil.html

However, the really critical bit for you is whether you would qualify or not.  There's plenty of info' about this on our website (link below).  Have a look at the Newcomers section.

Thank you very much for the replies,I have had a quick browse through the links Cooperlola sent me and will have to leave my self a goodly while to go through all of it (and understand it!!)

I know that if I get both tin ones sorted before we do make the move I should be good for at least 3 years per leg(as long as I don't fall off the motor bike, hehe) so would not need to avail myself of the services. Other health issues might be a bit more pressing when needing medication(angina and type 2 diabeties) but I feel I will be able to find what I need via this forum. Once again many thanks for the replies.

John

John, the truth is that if you are at or over UK state pensionable age (or your wife is) then you will be able to enter the state system here and will be fine (although you might want to consider top-up insurance).  If you're going to work here, ditto.  If you plan to retire early, however, then do read the website carefully because you may find it's pretty much impossible to make the move this side of retirement age.

Don't fall off your bike in the meantime though, will you?[:)]

Hi again cooperlola

I am almost there for the retirement and that is certainly good news that I would be able to enter the French system,my wife is a lot younger though so would not be able to do the same, we are hoping(like a lot of others) to get a small income form a gite and use that money to live off,the wife will be in total control of this and it will all be in her name,I will have my state pension but I believe it will be taxed in France,I also recieve a motobility payment and have not found out yet if I will be able to keep this as well or lose it once we make the move.

Lots of things to think about and sort out before the move is made but again many thanks for your help .

John

Your wife will qualify for state funded healthcare via you.  As a pensioner, you would be entitled by dint of the fact that the UK actually picks up the tab. When you get a bit closer to your move, we can explain the process in a bit more detail if anything on the website isn't clear.  I think it covers most of what you want to know but one thing which is incorrect is the fact that the forms referred to as E121 and E106 (those relevant to you) are now both called the S1.  Otherwise, it's pretty up to date still.

As for your allowances, the UK government has tried to stop these payments being made to those who left Britain, but this move was overturned by the European Union.  There is a lot of info' about the various payments (not my subject so I don't know much more than the basics) and the fights going on to maintain them over here on a thread called "DLA, Some Movement".  I can put you in touch with the lobby group who have championned this and can tell you rather more, when you get a bit closer to any actual move you make.  They have a facebook page but you need to be granted access - it is not an open forum like this one.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2342081/ShowPost.aspx

Your incomes would indeed be taxed over here - unless you have a public sector pension (civil service, police etc) in which case it continues to be taxed in the UK.  But you will find that you pay rather less as you are taxed as a household in France and all allowances are granted to each of you, then the tax bands applied equally on the remainder.  Probably a lot of detail which is not worth going into at this stage anyway but there is a tax FAQ at the top of the finance board which explains most of the stuff you need to know.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1196188/ShowPost.aspx