Disability Allowance - What is the current position?

No doubt when her situation gets to crisis point good people such as yourself will help her out......as far as you are able...

To be honest in her position she is more vulnerable than I would ever want to be, but it seems to be a situation of her own making.... As someone said earlier, you can take a horse to water...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignoring the moral judgements, the answer to your question is that if she uses her EHIC she will be remboursed at 70% for all treatment including visits to the doctor prescriptions etc, not just emergency treatment.

And if she is as wily as she probably is beneath this helpless exterior she will probably find a way to get 100% remboursement and private taxis/VSL's to and from all her treatments.

Then again if she is going to go home for her prescriptions probably not, I expect when her car arrives the first thing she will do is take it back again to MOT and tax it!!!

[quote user="Chancer"]

I expect when her car arrives the first thing she will do is take it back again to MOT and tax it!!!

[/quote]

I know somebody who does this, must be the most expensive MOT I know of. Still at least they are 'legal' and have proper insurance unlike those who leave their cars on UK plates, get a CT and buy cheaper French insurance without reading the small print. But then thats an old onion we have chewed many times before.

PS - I am not sure you are charged for emergency treatment if you arrive by ambulance. We had an American who was taken to 'A&E' by ambulance and they were never charged. We had an English child who fell off their parents car when climbing on the roof who needed stitches, they were never charged either. Perhaps legally thy were meant to be charged but never were, I don't know the ins and outs of the system on this only what I know from experience. However calling out a doctor which we have done once or twice for guests does incure the normal charge.

[quote user="Chancer"]

if she uses her EHIC she will be remboursed at 70% for all treatment including visits to the doctor prescriptions etc, not just emergency treatment.

[/quote]

I'm going slightly off piste here, but it poses a question that I've been wondering about for a while.

The question is whether an EHIC card is really all its cracked up to be?  I know for a fact that our local GP doesn't recognise it - you pay upfront for your consultation and you'll be given an invoice for you to claim reimbursement on your return to the UK.  I have more than a passing suspicion that much the same would apply if a visitor to us required admission to our local hospital (I think that A & E treatment would be OK). The first thing that they want on admission there is your CV and mutuelle details and if you were to proffer an EHIC card, they'd like as not say "That's a nice card, but no use to us".

So my question is .............. has anybody visiting France from the UK been able to successfully use an EHIC card and pay nothing for their treatment?    

• 1 month later...

I was surprised this was still 'top of the list' but there you go.

Just an update. I have had no contact with this woman since I tried to help her but I do pass her house regularly as she lives two doors away from a friend of mine. The last couple of times I noticed a new(ish) Mercedes parked out on the street near this womans house so I asked my friend who it belongs to so your starter for 10 is guess who. It is not a big car but one of the smaller ones and does not have a CT sticker on it so I would not expect it was cheap being a LHD and on French plates. So all this pleading poverty etc was a load of old bull and if I were still a UK taxpayer I would be very annoyed (as opposed to quite annoyed). Talk about abusing the system and taking the urine or what. [:@] The thing is there are a lot of very deserving people around who need all the help they can get whilst others (like this woman) don't have any qualms about ripping the system off.

Come on, guys, you don't know where she got the car from, do you?

She could have been given it, bought it out of savings, it could have been an inheritance, part of a divorce settlement, any number of legitimate and legal sources.

Unless, Q volunteers to go and ask her to her face where she got it from ...... and THEN we'd all know?[;-)]