My Disability scooter stolen

I was having lunch today, and left my scooter on the pavement outside as usual.

When I came out it had gone....

I had only one stick and light shoes as opposed to the boots and two sticks I need to hobble any sort of distance (2/300 metres for example)

I was given lots of help by other customers one of whom drove me to the Commissariat where I 'porté plainte' and of course I put messages out on the 'social media' (UGH)

Just a few minutes a ago I had a call to say it had been found, which I reckon is pretty good work.

The only problem is that  there are almost no others like it round here and to start it the thieves pulled out wires and twisted them together. It will be much harder thab it would be in the UK to find someone who is used to these machines

I hope I can find some one to mend it but at the moment it is immobilsed at the Commissariat.

Of course the sort of running around  I need to do I would normally do ON the scooter, so I will have to over come my telephone phobia and pull my finger out [:D]

Rather a lousy thing to do though, steal a disabled scooter.

[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bfb_album/media/DSC04396_zps328637c4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/bfb_album/DSC04396_zps328637c4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Oh b@m!

So annoying and inconvenient!  Do you have insurance on it and can it be fixed?

Who'd want to do a thing like that?  It's not as though they could ride it all the way to Calais, is it?

I'm not really making a joke, poor Norman.  I hope you get it working again soon.

Yes it is insured fortunatly and in fact anything that can be 'driven' on the voie publique  has to be.

I took out a specific insurance in addition to my house one in case I run over someone's foot or collide with something...

I hear WB singing 'roll out the barrel' [:D]

That's lower than low. Glad you got it back, and hope it's quickly fixable. Never heard of anyone hot-wiring a mobility scooter before. Wonder what they might have been hoping to use it for? Strikes me it's fairly useless as a getaway vehicle or for a ram-raid....

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]That's lower than low. Glad you got it back, and hope it's quickly fixable. Never heard of anyone hot-wiring a mobility scooter before. Wonder what they might have been hoping to use it for? Strikes me it's fairly useless as a getaway vehicle or for a ram-raid....

[/quote]

A wag on my Facebook said that  for once the police car might be faster than the vehicle it was chasing...

I cannot think of a more despicable act. I think that you are showing great fortitude and courage - even by sharing your experience on this forum. I hope that you can be mobile again very quickly.

What on earth was the motivation? It couldn't have been to sell it. Drunken prank? I hope that you weren't deliberately targeted.

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="You can call me Betty"]That's lower than low. Glad you got it back, and hope it's quickly fixable. Never heard of anyone hot-wiring a mobility scooter before. Wonder what they might have been hoping to use it for? Strikes me it's fairly useless as a getaway vehicle or for a ram-raid....

[/quote]

A wag on my Facebook said that  for once the police car might be faster than the vehicle it was chasing...

[/quote]

...or perhaps you just have very sedate joy-riders in your part of France.

I am glad that you got it back. I hope that the gendarmes let you collect it ASAP to have it mended. I daresay you will have to lock it up in future when you go anywhere.

Pity the salauds who stole it, even if caught will not be adequately punished.

You may be right.... over here a single battery costs 160€ and when I went to replace it last year I got the bad news that I needed two....[:-))]

I haven't yet been to collect it (the officer who phoned suggested I left them in peace over the  weekend [:)] ) so I will see the full damage next week

Thanks for all the good wishes. It has been heartwarming to see the reactions from people here and my French acquaintances...

Really sorry to hear that Norman, its the sort of thing that goes on around here, anyone with a disability of any sort or any difference be it skin colour or otherwise is seen to be deserved of abuse.

I would happily get it going again for you and to introduce some other passive security measures but there is a lot of distance between us, but you never know some other kind soul may be making a return journey to probably the UK that has some space.

Bear it in mind and I hope that a drama does not become a crisis and drag on indetermitaley because of the love of paperasse and procédures, they must be reminded that there is a very human victim behind this.

Really sorry to hear of your problems Norman. I think the others have used all of the polite and acceptable descriptions of the perpetrators that I can think of - though I have a few that could get me banned for (mis)use of language.

I hope you get sorted quickly.