french medical charities

Patf

For some years I've been donating occasionally to 3 french charites - Cancer research, guide dogs and physical handicaps. No regular commitments.

But I keep getting appeals from other charities, often with quite decent 'free gifts'. I can't afford any more so usually ignore them. Do they pass on lists of names of donors?

The latest is called Institut du Cerveau et de la Moelle Epinière - I can't work out what it means, except I know cerveau is brain. They enclose a neat writing set with my name printed on each page. And little cards with my address. I think this is a bit excessive.

Can someone give a translation?

Being cynical it may be that the same issues arise in France as they do in the UK with regards to monies to charities in general. I really do find it obnoxious how business orientated, including paying staff, they are.

My honest opinion is that you should seek out where your money (hard earned I assume) should go. Certainly there must be worthwhile charities but don't go giving it to those who just pull on the heartstrings.

Pay lots to charities but not on a whim!

Medical charities tend not to help patients, but fund expensive research. with sometimes dubious results. Pharmaceutical companies can, I think, afford to contribute more.

Could not agree more Richard.

I am currently working my way through a note pad, biro and address stickers from a guide dog association which I have not supported. Not because I don't think guide dogs are a good cause but because this particular outfit can clearly afford to waste money in the hope of getting more.

Having being rather scathing about some charities, can I add the caveat that I would rather support human charities rather than others such as animal.

Having said that our dog is a rescue one but is not insured. I cannot justify hundreds of pounds on a animal for an MRI scan for example whilst others have to either wait or go without.

Ah - spinal cord - never thought of that.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm wondering if I just sent them a letter back asking them not to waste their funds on free gifts to me, as I can't afford any more donations, they would take any notice?