transfer of utilities on sale

Bertie1

we bought our house a month ago  and the notaire said that he would write to the EDF and water companies regarding the change of ownership and would ask them to write to us at our UK address.  To date, we have not heard a word.  Can anyone advise us how long initial notification from the untility companies normally takes please?  We would hate to get cut off!!!!!

EDF took about 6 weeks, but the water about 4 months.   Both come to our UK address.   We did go in to the EDF office to sort out the original reading of the meter, and I spoke to the water company over the phone to give them the new address.   However, the agents did it as well.

Have arranged with both to have bills deducted directly from the account.   It was all very efficient!!

We bought in May 03. We thought that everythingh was being dealt with by the notaire.

In July 03 the elctricity was cut off because of an unpaid bill (the previous owner). By then we were absentee owners renting the place out.

However the edf were great and dealt with me from a distance. I would advise you to make contact with them.

On balance I would not assume the notaire is doing anything unless explicitly told (end even then don't exepect thoroughness as a right).

Its always the same old story here in France,if you want something done properly you must do it yourself to make sure. Its all very straightforward and will improve your french contact skills. Notaires usually are very good with contacting utlitilies but some have to be chased and chased to pull their finger out. Another point here is that quite often e.mails are not read for days or weeks if at all,as written correspondence seems to be more important.

EDF - visted local office with the seller and handed over RIB etc, seller had arranged meter reading

Water - again seller had arranged meter reading, I went along to the office armed with RIB etc

Phone - seller stayed local so took phone number with him. Rang 1014 for new number, all up and working in an hour.

Such things are not the notaire's purpose in life so are done as a big favour. DIY with a personal visit worked for us so is recommended.

John