BCG

Lollie

After being in France for almost two years I decided it was time for my children to have their BCG jabs, aged 11 and 10.   The Doctor told me they no longer do or require you to have the bcg here in France, but you need a booster whooping cough jab as it is on the increase.  Anyone else with a similar experience.?

Lollie 

ps I have posted here in education as the bcg topic does seem to come up here the most.

I've been hearing commnets about how the BCG won't be obligatory because it is no longer as effective for a while, but I haven't found any concrete info yet.

The ministry website still says that the BCG is obligatory to register for a school along with the DTP. All the others are just recommended not obligatory.

http://www.education.gouv.fr/prat/inscripele.htm

When my son had the BCG skin test carried out at Collège three years ago now, they would not administer the jab like they did when my daughter was there. Instead those with negative results that require the jab were given a letter for the doctor and told to get it there. We always go to the local clinic held once a month at the Socio Médico,part of the local hospital outpatients dept where all jabs are given freely and without an appointment,when we need anything like tetanus or BCG etc. you just need to be able to cope with the stigma that you will be there with refugees and down and outs, but who cares, they are all human beings and mostly very pleasant people we have encountered too. Why pay out to go to the doctor and then wait for your money and not all of it to come back into your account when this service is government financed and freely given.

• 3 weeks later...

Our daughter has not had the MMR vaccine either and has been accepted at school, but we didn't exactly bring it to their attention. We have given the school a copy of her National Health red book which contains her vaccination records, and either they haven't noticed she hasn't had it, or don't care. They haven't mentioned BCG either.

Krin

Hoverfrog,

DOGS

I had to respond to you as my dog died when we were signing up in France also 11 1/2 with nothing wrong.  Devastating isn't it?  I do sympathise. 

BCG

As regards BCG, I took my children to school for a  trial period and was told I would need the BCG,  They are normally done in the uk when kids are about 11.  I am on a waiting list in the UK  and am told I can have it done over here soon.  I would be interested to know whether they will insist on it in France, in your experience as I was asked for the certificate.

Georgina

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 14 and 12 year old into school without anyone asking to see their vaccine records - however, when i tried to get my 2 year old into the local nursery/creche, I was told that he had to have had his BCG before he could attend.

Went to my Doctor who said that the Medical profession wasn't that bothered about the BCG anymore, but if I wanted to get the vaccine for my 12 and 2 year old, he would administer it.  Unfortunately, there appears to be something of a delay in the making of it and the local pharmacies are having difficulty getting hold of it.  Of course my 12 year old is unaffected by this as he is already in school, but my 2 year old is very put out as he is desperate to go to school (as he calls it) and make some friends !