International section of French section in the state school?

Anastasia

Hi to everybody.

I am new here although we have been living in France since January last year and this is short background before I pose a question. First, I am not English, but my husband is and we lived in the UK for 4 years. Out daughter (just started CP) was for 1.5 years in Nursery Classes in the UK. Here in France she spent 1.5 years in Matternelle (or whatever spelling is).  We all came here without knowledge of French, and our daughter had her last evaluation in Matternelle (for Grand section) all As. Her teacher told us last November that she learned French and has no problems (there are no ways I can check that since I do not speak any French, nor my husband).

I do not know what to do about her education. There is a choice between international section and French section in her school (we are in Strasbourg). We chose French one out of three reasons: first, even in UK I took great care with ‘home educating’ her in advance in English, so she ended up with 3 years of age attending Reception class during literacy lessons and was using some new computer program for maths at the level of Y1. Second reason was that neither me nor husband speak French, and thought that she would better benefit in mainstream school since there will be little or no help on our side. And final reason is the fact that in the international section are mixed both children whose native language is French and those whose native language is English although teachers are native English speakers (they are very fussy about it).

I have dilemma because both Head teacher and her teacher told us that she would more benefit if she goes in international section. Now I really do not know what to do. She reads English without problem at the level of 8 year old (UK books), but she cannot write. She knows maths for the whole Y1 (the USA curriculum). We used a lot of CD-ROMs from the USA mostly and book ‘Reading Reflex’ for Phono-Graphix method (up to her age and she is 6 in 2 weeks).

What would you suggest out of your experience and knowledge – should I keep her in French only section or should I enrol her next year in international section? We do not know how long we are going to stay here (husband’s contract is until 2009) nor where we are going after (UK or USA) if we do not extend our stay here after 2009. I can teach her only by books and CD-ROMs English (since English is not my native language, nor I have ever had any teaching schooling nor experience in my life), up to a certain age. What that age would be?

Thank you very much for your time.

International Section????  Blimey most of us on here have never heard of this and our kids have gone through the normal state french education system. Is this something to do with you living in Strasbourg perhaps? There is certainly nothing like that here in depts 22 & 29.

I assume it is something to do with 67 and I think it has to do with catchments area within the city as well. I know that not all French kids can go in (as I can remember either they have to know enough of foreign language or their parents have to be in job that will eventually give them position somewhere outside of France, unless they are kids of diplomats who are getting in special international class) and that is why I am confused. TBH, it is usually represented to me as something as privilege, but I truly do not know if it is really. The only pro I found is that she would one day (if we stay here long enough) be able to do her exams in both languages. It is clear as a mud for me what exams (UK, USA or French curriculum, but I assume it would be something either French or International) and I really do not know what to do.

Does anybody know if there is big difference between English and French exams (knowledge wise not language wise)?

Did anybody have an experience of having child being schooled in French schools and than later on moved to the USA or UK and went to GSCE and A exams? How hard was for them?

She is also to learn German (a bit) since we are in Alsace and speaks a bit of my language (but that is not a big deal, just a bit of recreational thing during holidays for relatives  . What I am aware is that she is to get her education and I thought that I chose – in French but they advised me bilingual and I am not sure if that will work out.  

Hello Anastasia, are you talking about the international section (eg, anglophone) in a French school?

our son is in such a school in Lyon. He was educated in Ireland but had very, very little French when we arrived. He was taught French as FLE (French as a Foreign Language) and integrated into the "normal" French system as his French improved. Additonally he has six hours a week taught in English (English language, English literature, history and geography).

He has just sat and passed his Brevet with International Options and will hopefully sit and pass his Baccalaureat with International Option (BOI). In this Bac, the four subjects taught in English have a heavy weighting towards their Bac results, enabling students to pass the exam and sometimes get a "mention". The BAC is well recognised internationally and the International Options make it even better.

This option basically means that they can study either in a French-speaking country or an English-speaking country, hence it is an advantage.

The school international section must have a parents association and I suggest you contact them and ask them to explain everything in detail to enable you to make a choice.

There will be other students in the international section whose main language is not English.

Personally I am very happy with the international section: we obviously had no choice as our son had very little French (he was 14) when we arrived but French parents whose children speak English well are also very keen to have their children attend this section (in our school in Lyon, we also have Spanish, Japanese, Polish, German, Italian and Portuguese sections)

Best of luck in  your decision; I am sure the parents' association will be able to guide you. Don't worry about  not be able to help your child with French, get a student to come and tutor them at home at the beginning.

Best regards

Dominique

There is a state lycée with an Internation section in Aix en provence. It sounds very like the school in Lyon that Sikhim has described. the children follow most of the lessons in french with History, geography and english being taught in English. There is also the possibility of FLE lessons for those who need it.

There is a collège in the town that does the same sort of thing too, but there aren't any state primaries (I think that's the age you're asking about?) in Aix with internation sections.

Since you are planning on moving back to an English speaking country at some point, I would say that an International section would be the best thing your daughter.

As Sikhim says, international schools/sections usually have a strong parents association. Your best bet would be to get in touch with them.

We have a similar thing in 01 as we are in a large expat population near Geneva. Our children are too young for Lycee but do attend half day a week in English at the Lycee entitled the English National Program (this is from CE1 for children with mother tongue -or close- level English and they are released from the local French primaires to attend every Tues pm). They also run similar schemes in German, Dutch, Italian etc. You may want to check if your area does something similar. This then sets them up to go into the International section of the Lycee when they are old enough or at least ensures they could fit back more easily into UK scholling if required. From what I have gathered, most of the international children go to the Int. section of the Lycee rather than the local French college or French section as it gives you the International qualification which in turn gives you more options later. As previous posters have said, I would contact the local parents association and ask them to explain in detail the differences so you can make sure you make the right choice.

The only thing I would watch on entering the International section is that often this area is more transient than the French section - children come and go very quickly some staying a few months and others a few years since all the parents are likely to be working in International jobs. Our children have just waved goodbye to several sets of friends at the end of a 3 year posting which can be upsetting.   

Regarding the idea of privilege - it is an option that is only open to a few children in a few areas of France. We are moving soon to the Vienne and this will be one of the things we will miss. So yes, I would regard it as a privilege - from memory there are only a handful of such state schools in France.  

Good luck with your choice.

Hi,

I know this is little off subject, but I have heard of schools offering the international bac, as I understand it the nearest one to me is in Brittany, I live in Mayenne Dept 53, does anyone know of a school offering this nearer to me.

Many thanks.

I am working my way through the links on

http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-education/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=96

"In addition to the International Schools listed below you may also be interested to learn about the international sections within certain French lycées. There are 12 British sections and 7 American. In addition to teaching the French curriculum students are also taught to A level standard in English. This allows successful students to go on to study for the Option Internationale Baccalaureate (not the same thing as the International Baccalaureate).

A full list of these lycées can be found at this site:
www.ciep.fr/oib/listetab.htm

[quote]Hi, I know this is little off subject, but I have heard of schools offering the international bac, as I understand it the nearest one to me is in Brittany, I live in Mayenne Dept 53, does anyone know...[/quote]

Hi,

We too have one here in La Baule, college and lycee with a 4 day boarding option from 4eme.   Basically as explained it is a state school with additional lessons in English and the Brevet Int and BAC Int is taken.   I am on the Association at this school and would be happy to answer any questions.  It is predominantly french children wishing to excel in English but as it grows we get more children whose parents have worked abroad and have returned here to France so their children have english and want to continue, and children whose parents have moved here to france;  A FLE course is offered for the non french speaking children.  Fees,   a bargain I think and less than 145 euros per year!!! non boarding of course.

Lollie