Maths levels in primary school

Debra

Hi Debra

You could start with trying the Cahiers de Vacances which are available in most supermarkets, near to the books/magazines.........these are workbooks available in all subjects for all year groups. This would give you an idea of the levels required in all subjects, and would give your children an idea of how they do things 'French style' in maths!

Good luck!!

Regards

Chris

I can't really answer your question, other than to say that we moved here in November; our daughter - who was born in Nov 1997 - is in CE2, and is having to work quite hard to catch up on maths. They seem to be at a more advanced level than she was in her class in England, plus she has effectively gone up a year. They are expected to know all their tables and be able to do long multiplication and also quite complex addition and subtraction. Hasn't been a major problem, but we are needing to give her quite a bit of extra support at home.

Our son is 11 (DOB Nov 1994) and is in CM2 (i.e. the year before starting collège). He seems top be way ahead of the rest of the class in maths, and most other areas apart from French.

Not sure how much this helps....

Rob

One thing your 8 year old's can do is to practise their times tables - in French! They do focus on this quite a lot and they must learn them. My 11 year old son is in collège now but part of his end of term report is his knowledge and speed of response of the times tables - I even had a computer printout of the ones that he was weak in! For the six year old I would just learn the numbers and simple additions: pairs 2+2 etc and all combinations that make 10 was one that my daughter did at about this age.

If you go to the site www.crdp.fr and from there go to les textes

essentiels and from there programmes et accompagnements on the left

there is enseignement primaire, and tous les domaines d'enseignement

click on this to take you to qu'apprend-t-on à l'école

élemetaire.  Download this and you get the curriculum.  And

if this site had let me post the link then it would be a lot

easier.  The contents is at the end, but you need page 219

HTH

[quote user="Tourangelle"]If you go to the site www.crdp.fr and from there go to les textes essentiels and from there programmes et accompagnements on the left there is enseignement primaire, and tous les domaines d'enseignement click on this to take you to qu'apprend-t-on à l'école élemetaire.  Download this and you get the curriculum.  And if this site had let me post the link then it would be a lot easier.  The contents is at the end, but you need page 219
HTH
[/quote]

er - this site: http://www.crdp.fr/ leads me to a rubbish recycling site!  Was that an intentional joke, tourangelle??

downloaded it, converted it to a word document and then tried the word web translator and the worldlingo translator server can't be found!  Guess I'll just have to struggle through it - unless anyone else knows of another quick and dirty way of translating a document???

Sorry, you're absolutely right.  I got to it through a site of a

CRDP which isn't quite as mad as it sounds though, because it is centre

regional de documentation pedagogique,  and their websites have the names of the academies after them and the N changes it

to national, and I got mixed up.  Glad you managed to find it in

the end[:)]