Starting at french school.

Shelly

Hi, we're moving to The Lot (46)  in August. Our daughter who will then be 10 is going to start at the local village school.  There are only 20 children within the 3 years there. It seems a friendly school and i'm sure she will settle in. She is having french lessons now, which will help. Could anyone give me any tips or advice if they've been through the same thing.  We are already looking at swimming clubs,  dancing etc.

We are really looking forward to the move but realise its not going to be easy in the beginning. I can get by in french but need to improve.

Shelly[:)]

One of the best things you can do for your daughter at this stage is work really hard on your own French so you can help her as much as possible once you get here.  I am sure you will be surprised by the amount of homework they are expected to do and even the instructions for it are quite complicated.  My son started in CP aged 6 this year and I speak fluent French - it has not been straightforward even for us. He had two years of French before we came (from age 3 1 hour/week) and is just now starting to speak after being in school from September.  Kids do adapt quickly but it is not necessarily easy for them especially with the emotional upheaval as well - even aged 6 my son is still quite upset about leaving his English friends behind.  Dont want to be negative but just trying to be realistic.  Please contact me if you want any more advice.  By the way, we are about 20 mins from Cahors so not far if you are in South Lot.

Thanks for the advice.  I'm going to classes at the moment,  mainly conversational.  I've heard about the french classes in Cahors for english people, I might try those in September. I will look for a french tutor for my daughter once a week. If you have anymore helpful information on the area I would be grateful.  It does seem a lovely area though.

Shelly

We moved here last year with a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old who did not speak a word of French apart from 'Bonjour' and 'Merci'. It was a difficult 3-4 months when they started, more so for our eldest. He would scream at the door when I left and had to be pealed off me. This was not the experience we had when he went to school in England. He was popular, loved it and did well. One year on and they have both settled in well and can speak French fluently. They both love school and now they want to stay for the afterschool clubs as well. My advice is not panic if they don't fit in straight away and although you may leave them in tears (yours and theirs) it will get better and you'll forget what all the fuss was about.

• 1 month later...

French Novice is so right ! We moved last June and the children (then 4,5,9) started school in September. The first two or three weeks were terrible. As a parent you dont want to see your children upset at any time, but day after day crying as soon as you get to school is heartbreaking. Normally happy children standing in their class lines looking so alone and miserable questions your judgement on a daily basis.

Things got slowly better (no quick fixes I am afraid !) and now all three are doing well, have loads of friends and speak reasonable French (not fluent yet though - dont expect miracles !!!). Having said that the older two still talk about their old school in England and their friends there although much less wistfully than last year.

In summary, anyone who tells you your child will be fluent and completely settled within a couple of months is leading you up the garden path. But they will get there and we have found the other children in the school to be very friendly and accepting of Les Rosbifs !