Broadly 'Lapeyre' will have a local branch and are different to UK self assembly kitchens but you can acheive a good quality result at a resonable price.

'Ikea' if you have a reasonable sized estate car or van to get the items home.

'Catorama' and 'Leroy Merlin' worth a look

Try using google.fr with sites set to French.

It's interesting when you compare the Ikea prices in France with UK.  The prices quoted to buy the identical range of units (as shown on their website) makes kitchens in the UK much cheaper.  For example, the Adel range in cream costs 1243 euros in France and only £519 (equating to around 730 euros) here in the UK.

We bought our kitchen over from England - units from MFI and beach worktops from Ikea.  We have got a substantial kitchen for a little over a thousand quid and that includes the oven and hob!

Sasha

FYI we eventually bought a kitchen in UK and bought it back in the car Including a 110 range cooker. We looked for 6 months here and could not believe the difference in price..

Can confirm the comments re IKEA but do find some of their stuff cheaper here in France than UK, IE sofa beds, Chests of drawers...

Happy hunting

Jeremy

Don't know if the offer is still on but we bought a new kitchen from Hygena (in France) and got 50% off the units. Appliances were full price but it still saved us quite a bit.

The only warning I would add is that their contract fitters were awful! First job was to plug in their trannie, next they lit up ciggies without even asking if we minded, and then had the cheek to sound surprised when we said we wanted the unused materials - some of which were quite big enough to make shelves etc.

So, the kitchen is great but beware of getting it fitted by Hygena unless you find someone who knows the fitters and can guarantee their work.

We also bought our kitchen at Hygena with 50% off. There are branches all over France. I think the nearest one for you might be St. Lo 50 or Chartres 28. There isn't one in Orne.They have sales in January and July so now is a good time to go .We compared prices with several other shops and Hygena on sale were the cheapest, and reasonable quality. Eddie, ( husband) fitted it himself. Pat.

Hi,

We also bought our kitchen from Hygena at 50% off and were very pleased with it. We used an English (but fluent in French and resident here for 20+years) fully registered artisan (actualy a fully qualified cabinet maker - so we struck lucky!) to install everything and the work was of the highest quality. Delighted with both the product and the finished result.

We are in the Dordogne so if anyone needs a kitchen fitter I would happily recommend the artisan we used.

We bought a kitchen from Hygena in Perigeaux, it got cheaper everytime they priced it up, my dad's putting it up as we speak so I can't speak for the result but it all looked good enough in the showroom.

Bought a very nice five ring range thing from a small place that ordered it in, really good quality for about 600euros as I recall

I don't know too much but I get the impression that it's all there if you look hard enough

Try the Hygena website: http://www.hygena.fr/

They have an up to 50% sale until 23rd February.  There is a shop in Avranches which might be easier for you to get to than St. Lo - they don't have a shop in the Orne.  It is on the outskirts of town near the motorway on an out-of-town shopping complex (I think it is near to the Museum of the Second World War and maybe St. Jean des Champs?).

Valerie

And on the subject of TVA, if you buy the units yourself you'll pay 19.6%, whereas if they're supplied and fitted, the whole package attracts 5.5% (in most cases).

It worked for me and the quality and ease of fitting was more than I could have achieved. More importantly, it opened up contacts to artisans that I might not have met otherwise.