Do you have to go to school on Wednesday?

helixx

Hello, I am Polly's sister.I am called Heli. I am new to this site. I was wondering whether you had to go to school on Wednesday because in England everyone says that you have to go to school on Wednesday mornings and some people say that you don't go on Wednesdays at all. hich one is right. Oh yes and do you have to wear school uniform? Thankyou helixx

Heli,

It varies from one school to another.  My children are both in primary school and go to school on Wednesday morning, but not afternoon, whereas a friend the same age as my daughter goes to another school, but does not go at all on a Wednesday.  Some children, at other schools attend on a Saturday morning!  The bad news though... the days are longer, my 5 year old gets on the bus at 8:30 and comes home at 5pm!

Good news though - I have yet to see a school with school uniform.

Hi Helixx, I hope you, or your parents, have not been reading, or, taking seriously, what is published in 'French News'. That publication, plus 'The Connexion', frequently print terribly out of date facts and often get their advice to readers wrong. 'French News' recently printed in an article that children  here do not attend school on Wednesdays but do attend on Saturday mornings. Some do, some do not. Mine dont go on Saturdays.  It depends where you go.  No-one wears a uniform here. I wish they did as it would save a bundle on new clothes all the time. They wore uniforms in Australia and the UK and it was so much easier for me.

saw a piece on the 20h news about uniforms, apparently they are becoming more common in the departments outre mer, like guadaloupe, and the reporter suggested they should be introduced in mainland france. i'd say it'll probably take 100 years to be honest.......

Helixx!

Kids who don't have school on Wednesdays are encouraged to take up an activity like football, dance horse riding etc... You can also join a place called the M.J.C. - it's a sort of cultural centre that most towns and villages have.  There are many activities to choose from depending on the size of the village.

Google MJC for your town or village and you'll find a list of activities available.

Twinkle, these activities cost. I have friends whose kids did nothing at all and much to my recent surprise, good friends have not enrolled their kids in any extra curricula activities. Some people just cannot afford it.

I shouldn't be surprised, I spent a fortune on activities for my kids.

Here in Brittany there is no wednesday school for primaire except in cases where they go back after a holiday perhaps on a tuesday. In Collège they work until 11.30am on wednesdays and Lycée it is all day usually until 15.30 or 16.30 depending on the course taken. We were allowed to vote about ten years ago regarding the stopping of saturday classes here because it meant weekend breaks could not be taken and working parents had no cover.