Schools near St Dizant

SS2002

Hello

I will be moving to the area shortly with my 4 year old (5 in June) and just wondered how long it would take her to pick up the language?  Do any of you have any experience of this age?  She has done French at nursery so can tell people her name and that she is 4 and can count to 10 and knows the colours and she picked that up fairly easily.  I also speak French so can help her out.

I also wanted to clarify that she would have the rest of this year and all next academic year at the ecole maternelle and move to the ecole primaire in 2008? 

Many thanks!  [:D]

Hello Sandra.  We don't have kids so I can't help much but I know that French children start primary school at age 6. I lifted the following from this site:

FRENCH ENTREE

French primary schools (also

known as “écoles élémentaire”) cover the ages six to eleven with five

courses studied, one for each year:

CP – Cours Preparatoire

CE1 – Cours Elementaire first year

CE2 – Cours Elementaire second year

CM1 – Cours Moyen first year

CM2 – Cours Moyen second year

This timescale covers the equivalent of British Infant 2 through to Junior 4 classes (American grades1 through 5).

It is the calendar year in which your child was born which

governs which class they attend. So children born in 2000 are in the

2006/2007 CP class.

Hope that helps a bit.

Hi Sandra, If you've read my reply to your other posting, you'll get my background, in answer to your question, yes she would have the rest of this school year and all of next year in maternelle, it will depend on what school she goes to as a friends child goes to school nearby you, he is 3 years old and will go to one school this year and then transfer once he finishes in petite section, to another school actually in the village he lives in when he goes up to moyenne section, which is what your daughter would be in now, i cant remember if he will move again for the grande section 5-6 years old.  It just depends which school your daughter goes to.  My daughter will do all her maternelle in one school, 2.5 years to 6 years, just move in to different classes as she gets older.

As for the language, in september 2005 my little one was speaking it ok, but it was quite difficult to understand her as she was only just 3 herself, since this september 2006, she has moved up a\ class and there is literally no stoping her, I cant believe in 3 months the difference in language skills.  Im sure she will pick it up and if you yourself can speak french, at least you can play in french with her, this week we've had another library book and i must admit its the 1st one i've struggled with, better start practicing a bit more.

I've just reread your post and my little girl is 5 in june as well!!!!!  We normally spend it on the beach.

Good luck with the move

Emma and Ella