Which School ?

Davey

Hi Everyone,

As a new poster on your website I hope you will forgive me if any of these questions have been asked before.

We are moving to France in April in our RV/Motorhome whilst finding a school for the kids(6yrs & 10yrs), and then subsequently purchasing a

house in the area. We  need to be within an 1 1/2 hours of Bordeaux and we are looking to live near Duras/Monsegur. Here are our 2 questions.

1) Can we enroll the Kids in local school whilst living in our RV/Motorhome on a camp site ?

2) We are looking for a school where both the children can attend, and can anyone reccomend such a school in the area described ?

Many Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.

Davey and Family

Just wondering Davey; if you have decided on this area then why have you not already visited schools or checked out whilst there what is available school-wise? I take it you have visited the region you wish to move to...surely you have not decided to live somewhere and then ask on  a forum what to do with your kids? One school might suit one family but certainly not suit your family's needs.  If I were you I would do some more in depth research,  other than on a forum, before you park the motorhome. Contacting the Mairie where you wish to live would be a start.  Hope it all goes well for you.

Hi Wen,

We certailnly have visited Duras and Monsegur and both have the type of school we are looking for. I was just curious to see if anyone had any info or experience of the schools or area in question.  I did not want to load the question in anyway as I was hoping for unbiased oppioins of both. Your comments with regard to the Mairie are indeed most helpful, unfortunatly the were unavailable during our last visit.

Regards

Davey

Hi Davey,

I cannot help you with regard to a school for your children as our daughter is older than yours.  However, as she attends Duras College I will ask the school about your query of being able to attend a school whilst living in a mobile home.  I cannot comment on the local schools apart from to say our daughter is very happy at Duras.  I will get back to you with any information l can find.  Kind regards.

Hello

we live nr Duras. Our daughter attends school in Levignac de Guyenne. We have found so far the school system excellent. We have many english friends whom have children of all ages. Of all the children I know all seem to have settled very well in their new school and have all made friends.

If you would like to email me I can put you in contact with an english friend who will be able to help you more. She will be able to help with regards both of your questions.

I was pregnant when we arrived, and knew nothing of the area, but had great fun in finding out, the people here are all friendly (we have found anyway) I am sure you will enjoy your new lives here, you will find plenty of English around too!

Vicky

Hi again Davey, you have chosen an area where there is, obviously, a large english community already in residense so you will not have any trouble getting your kids into school and educated.  Heed the advice given here as they know the area. And well done for not going for one of those isolated areas where they have never seen, let alone educated, a non-french person. Speaking from experience here. Hope you enjoy your new life here!.

Hi Davey,  

l have asked Duras College about your children attending a school in the area even if you are living in a mobile home.  They have confirmed that there would be no problem as long as you were in the relevant catchment area.  The deputy head said " even if you had a mobile home on a piece of land with no address, you would be classed as the first mobile home on the left"!.  I hope that helps.  I have a shop in Duras, so please pm me if you need any further help.  You have chosen a lovely area in which to live. Good luck with the move.