Education System?

SS2002

Hello!

Could someone please explain the French system to me?  I recently tried to enrol my daughter in the ecole maternelle (for September) and went to the school advised by Mr le Maire.  However, when I got there, I was told I had the wring school as my daughter would be un Grande Section (born 02) and that was in another village.  As it was the last day of term I didn't get to go to the other school.

I think this means she will have a year at this Maternelle and then move to the Primaire (Infants) in our village and then move back to the first village to join the Junior school - is this right??

Thanks!

Sandra

Hi

It sounds like the same set up as where we are moving to, each of three close villages have two classes, so my son will go to one village for the next few months and then for September he will move to the neighbouring village.  This is quite standard where there are a few villages close by and a good use of facilities IMHO.  You might find that the Grand Section maternelle and perhaps CP (first year primaire) are in one school, then you need to change for CE1 etc.

Where are you moving to?

Panda

We're moving to St Dizant (Charente Maritime) - there are 3 or 4 close villages with schools in 3 of them!  What do all the letters, ie CE1 stand for??  I'm so confused!  I know they don't have Infants and Juniors but that's how one (English) parent described it to me as - though I don't think the Mayor realised the nursery was split!!

Sandra

If you google french education you will find lots of information.

Try this, this is the easy bit.

If nothing else the very basic details are there.

http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-education/

I don't think that 'wring' ing a school is a good idea, before you have your child enrolled, but frankly I have fancied doing more than my fair share of wringing when my kids were in it.

And if that sounds hard, remember that children are supposed to be able to read and write sans faute in France.