Re: Can anyone put my mind at rest ?

Suze01

My daughter sat her French BAC in June. Nobody at any of the schools she has attended has asked us whether we pay into the system or not. She will sit the rest of her BAC subjects this year coming and I very much doubt if we will be asked then either.

There is something else you will hear about, but which does not involve non-French children. All French kids must do a day in the armed forces after their 16th birthday. My daughter's friends caused her a lot of worry because they told her that they couldn't sit their BAC unless they had completed this "national service". Being teenaged girls they caused quite a storm about this and convinced Ann that she wouldn't be able to get her qualifications without it, although she isn't French. Anyway, one phone call to our prefecture set her mind at rest and peace was restored chez nous! Just something else to watch out for!!!!

Hope this helps,

Aly

I too read this comment on another site by an english person and have to say its the first I've heard about it. University and upper Lycée is a different thing as places are restricted etc but ordinary Lycée public as far as I know is open to anyone who subscribes properly and this does not affect their BAC exam. However, there have been a lot of brits who just arrive, don't work or pay anything into the system, expect their kids to be given extra asisstance to learn french and then up and disappear after a year or two and this is possibly something the educational establishment are a bit worried about and are changing the rules. The only way to find out for sure is to speak to the local Lycée principal and get it from the horse's mouth about rights and rules. As for financial assistance that is a definate no-no unless you are tax resident in France for at least two years previously.

[quote user=" Aly (used to be Charlotte3)"]

There is something else you will hear about, but which does not involve non-French children. All French kids must do a day in the armed forces after their 16th birthday. My daughter's friends caused her a lot of worry because they told her that they couldn't sit their BAC unless they had completed this "national service". Being teenaged girls they caused quite a storm about this and convinced Ann that she wouldn't be able to get her qualifications without it, although she isn't French. Anyway, one phone call to our prefecture set her mind at rest and peace was restored chez nous! Just something else to watch out for!!!!

Hope this helps,

Aly

Yes. When both of mine signed on for University, the latest back in June, they had to fill in forms about not doing french national service and why not.