Friday evenings

Kitty

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

Cathy, why are you up so late / early? are you an insomniac?[8-)] [/quote]

Mmm.  I couldn't sleep last night.  So I came onto the Forum.  I was the only one on.  Spooky.

The girls have returned to boarding school.  One of them saw me on the Forum this morning and I quickly hid this thread.  I would be skinned alive if they knew that I had talked about them to virtual friends (and strangers!).

They weren't too bad after Friday evening but I find that we usually have another "spat" on Sundays, just before we have to go back.  One of them (aged 17) did say during the course of the weekend that she did love me but finds me irritating.  Great to feel wanted, isn't it. 

I did earlier ask whether they grow out of it but no one has replied to that bit.  So perhaps they don't. [8-)]

[quote user="Cathy"][quote user="Cendrillon"]

Cathy, why are you up so late / early? are you an insomniac?[8-)] [/quote]

Mmm.  I couldn't sleep last night.  So I came onto the Forum.  I was the only one on.  Spooky.

The girls have returned to boarding school.  One of them saw me on the Forum this morning and I quickly hid this thread.  I would be skinned alive if they knew that I had talked about them to virtual friends (and strangers!).

They weren't too bad after Friday evening but I find that we usually have another "spat" on Sundays, just before we have to go back.  One of them (aged 17) did say during the course of the weekend that she did love me but finds me irritating.  Great to feel wanted, isn't it. 

I did earlier ask whether they grow out of it but no one has replied to that bit.  So perhaps they don't. [8-)]

[/quote]

[quote user="Cathy"]

Wooly wrote: Full boarding then.

I said this to be husband tonight!  Shame French schools don't do it.

Cendrillon - good answers.

Does it get any better when they are in their twenties?

[8-)]"[/quote]

Definitely! [:)]

Hang in there Cathy!"

Cathy, I did answer, maybe you missed it.[:)]

In my experience they are quite nice and good friends when the are grown up.

Cathy

we've had that for about 8 years - and 24/7 - thankfully now she's more independent &  working & at present skiing in France, so I can't be shouted at or have to put up with numerous arguments-   you bring 'em up to be polite, but once they start school (espec.in UK) they mix with rude, grim kids & become like their peers. And, you are no longer the Boss these days, in the UK the state has taken on that role.

Your have to grit your teeth for the teenage years -   mine have been gritted so much I often wonder how they have survived it all.

Bon courage

tegwini

[quote user="Cathy"]

[/quote]

Well Cathy mine's 28 next Wednesday and it has not got a lot better I can assure you!!

She hasn't really left home as it were, she lives in the granny flat attached to our house with her lovely partner, but we have a connecting door [:-))]

No grandchildren yet, but she just keeps getting new pets instead!

The partner and her have just been on a two week holiday, I've been left with the pets; 1x adult Yorkie, 1x 3 1/2 month jack Russel puppy, 2x cockatiels and a cat. and its only in the last couple of months that the fish and the hamster have died!

I was the one who got up at 5.30am to take them to the airport and picked them up again.

But all I got most of they way home was earache for not feeding the puppy some new very expensive food which he hated!! he only wanted to eat 'cesar' but even when she saw him and how much he had grown she still had another go at me! any way she now finds that she has to feed him the same as I was feeding him and its half the price!

When we are away in France she calls me on the phone almost every day! and when she was on holiday she phoned about 5 times from America!

But at last they are moving out to their own place next week! and I know I will miss them so much, yes I might have a bit more milk in the fridge and sugar in the cupboard but who's going to help me with the bl**dy computer when it plays up[blink]

Thanks for the replies - so it's gets better but with some bad bits.  Jaqui - I have friends who are lumbered with their children's pets.  I understand that it goes with the territory.

I just hope that one of my four (or all of them) will look after me in my dotage (when it arrives).

Jacquie Too - how on earth did you get them to leave ???  I have exactly the same problem - including pets. ! We are running away to France in 2009 and NOT telling them where we live ! (not really) but we have said - move out or learn French !!!!

Sue

[quote user="suzy"]

Jacquie Too - how on earth did you get them to leave ???  I have exactly the same problem - including pets. ! We are running away to France in 2009 and NOT telling them where we live ! (not really) but we have said - move out or learn French !!!!

Sue

[/quote]

I heard of a couple who did just that, moved to France to escape terrible son but then the tables turned, the couple fell on hard times, couldn't sell their Fr. house and the terrible son (who had improved by then) sent them monthly cheques to help them out. Now the matter is happily resolved and they have sold and returned to the U.K.

[quote user="suzy"]

Jacquie Too - how on earth did you get them to leave ???  I have exactly the same problem - including pets. ! 

Sue[/quote]

I don't mind having the pets, I love them all, and I don't mind the loss of : milk , sugar, anything she runs out of, on occasions the boots on the other foot[Www]

I just can't put up with the lack of any gratitude and the 'earache'

We go shopping together, she paints my nails sometimes, I borrow her car, so mainly its great, BUT the more you give the more they take and 2 months ago she over stepped the mark!

She said she wanted a puppy, I said no you can have as many dogs as you want when you have your own place, and if she did she could find somewhere else to live!

Well the puppy came and she got her marching orders.

Luckily I had a friend who had a nice bungalow to rent so they are going there for a year maybe until they can afford a place of their own, they both have good jobs but while they where living with us they could have saved a good deposit for a house, but no they would rather go snowboarding in Colorado for two weeks, well I suppose your only young once!!

Just spent the weekend setting up the new place for them, hubby putting down new laminate flooring, make the garden dog proof, plumbing in the washing machine you name it he's doing it!! Ive been putting up curtains and blinds, cleaning, fitting new loo seat. Next weekend we're doing the 'move' for them in our tranny van.

And why do we do it?

Because we love her.

Thank god she's only 2 miles away!!!!

I wonder if it's because mine are boys - I don't get earache and they know how to get round their Mum !!  Worryingly, I did hear the eldest speaking passable French the other day, surprising, as he didn't pass at GCSE.  However, as it was a 'foodie' conversation and he manages a restaurant, perhaps I shouldn't worry too much.  I know I shall miss them loads when we move..............won't I ???

Sue

I have two girls, one of 31 the other 27.

The older one went to college in England to do her A levels and lived on campus during the week coming home Friday night going back Sunday night. We were living in England then. She loved coming home at weekends was a dream as completely self motivated and when went out told us where she was going who with and when she would be back. But when she and her sister met up it was world war three! She went straight on to University in London and was away termtime once ringing about 1030pm to say she was ill and if she didn't come home she would have to go to hospital so my husband drove up to London to get her. She arrived home saying 'mummy I'm not well!' Her sister had helped make up her bed and put a hot water bottle in to make it comfy! As they were getting older they were reasonable to each other when they met up. She is married and a teacher in England.

Younger daughter was a nightmare staying out all night, getting up to heavens knows what. Got through college then met a man, got pregnant and married. She has two children now, going through a divorce and she and her children are living with us in France. She has a French boyfriend her language skills are really good due to him and the children now speak very good French. She had to grow up quickly in an unhappy marriage but now is happy and doing well. She has always been our problem child and when she started working after she arrived last year we took on looking after the children. we got involved in the French school system, homework things we thought we had left behind.

They now have a good relationship as sisters. We have not treated them differently for any other reason than that they are different characters and personalities. Older one hated cuddles younger one did and still does love a 'mummy hug'! Not having boys I can't compare but friends with boys say boys are more loving than girls but as I said my younger one was and still is very loving. Older one is organised, practical but still enjoys herself and loves visiting us. They will always be my babies.