Some questions about the French education system for young teenagers

Lemon Shoes

My daughter is 14, she is in year 9 in a UK school and would be starting her GCSEs this September. I would ideally like to be living in Paris by the time she would start year 10 in September, but I have many questions.

Would French/British teachers, also parents of teenagers who have acheived this/have experience - advise waiting until she's completed her GCSEs in this country and starting her International BAC when she's 16/17? Has anyone here had experience of sending children of a similar age to International schools before they get to year 10? I've tentatively searched various fee paying schools and am unsure about which ones would be the best to send her to. She loves the French language, is very able, and has good French for a girl her age in this country. But I wouldn't want her to be drowning if I made the wrong choice. I apologise if I sound very ignorant about the French education system, that would possibly be because I am at the moment!

I would love to hear stories from parents who have expereinced this with young teens, and also possibly advice from teachers too?

Have a read back through other posts, arriving in 3eme and being thrown into the French school system is far from ideal.  Certainly in Paris you will find a number of international schools which would probably be a better option at this later stage.  If you stuck her in a French school she wouldn't have good enough French to get her brevet, and arriving so late she may well wish to return to the UK for uni and so on and might be penalised if she doesn't have her GCSEs.  But look into the options carefully, in Paris I think you may well find some fee paying schools where she could take her GCSEs, and reconcile you move to Paris with her ongoing education.

how about this one?

http://www.britishschool.fr/

Thank you so much for taking time to reply, Tourangelle. I'll definitely heed your advice re. reading through other posts in this section . The option for my daughter to take her GCSEs in a  British school in Paris does acually make a lot of sense, but unfortunately the €20k yearly fee looks way out of my budget at the moment. I'll keep researching though, thanks again.

Lemon Shoes!

You are moving to Paris?  I am surprised to say the least[8-)]

Personally I would not even consider taking a child out of his/her school and changing countrys at such an important time. Listen to your big sister - you know she always knows best[;-)][kiss]

Possibly a change for good or bad all depends on her character and background. Friend's daughter changed at exactly the same age and did have a very very good command of French, having previously lived in France but she is very shy and retiring. Result is she hasn't any GCE's and did get her BAC but 2 years later than normal. She is now doing part time waitress work but does live in a very rural area where jobs for the french are hard to obtain and she doesn't want to leave home! On the other hand I know someone who changed to French education at aged 13 with no previous knowledge of French and is now in University at Toulouse. She is very happy and dare I say it the parents are perhaps more academic than the first case. 

Perhaps you need to chat to Katie [:D] Seriously I do wish you all the best  in your decisions and in your new life. 

You do, always know best, Twinks - I know that, sweetheart. If only I had a spare €40k lying around to put her in the british school for two years!

And thank you for replying, Poppy, and for your kind wishes. There is just a mineful of things to think of isn't there? Understatement of the day!

I have also undertaken extensive research in the area.  Luckily, I can get together the money to send my daughter to an English speaking international school to do her terminale with a view to achieving her IB.  She will study 5 hours of French per week as a foriegn language and, PE and art will be taught in French.  It is alot of money to invest and, I looked down other routes namely, billingual school with fees of 3500 euro pa who intake mainly British and American pupils.  I emailed this school and, was told that my daughter would have to have a good command of the French language.  I considered making use of intensive French courses for my daughter during the summer holidays, but she told me that she wanted to go to the International British School.  I feel this has given me  nochoice but to meet her wishes and, she is looking forward to starting her new school.

If your daughter is already able in French and this is improved upon during the summer holidays, or even sooner, you will be in the position to reasses the situation a few months down the line as to whether she is ready to receive 50% of French taught lessons.