Do they have school proms in France?

JohnnyP

[quote user="Panda"]

Hi

End of school proms have been big in the UK (the bit I came from) for about 10 years. 

Panda

[/quote]

That's what happens when you don't have UK TV or keep abreast of current events with the DM: total ignorance of vital social developments. [:-))]

JK!

Take no notice - LG is talking about the President Sarkozy! 

The French will soon be uprising and storming the Elysée so he and Carla will be homeless therefore you could consider renting their little pad.

I think that's what she means but I could be wrong - she so clever you know with the 4 brains and all that[:D]

[:D]

Twinks, thanks for the translation, but LG ain’t paying nuffink for it, b’coz cheapskate is her middle name. Four heads, in LG’s case, means 1 with half a brain and 3 filled with the Languedocian soleil, which tends to send her off on the most improbable délire.

Sorry JK, t’were but a little wishful thinking. LG thought that if the lovebirds were rehoused somewhere else (preferably Antarctica), we’d get to see less of their omnipresent gueules and decent folk could occupy that pad. A small step to resolving the Parisian housing crisis.[Www]

Hi Everyone...

Thanks for all the replies and I apologise for not getting back to you earlier.

Probably bad timing for posting a question as I went away for a week in Tenerife!

Anyway.... Yes I did know Stockport was twinned with Languedoc towns, Beziers as we have a big sign saying so... but thanks for reminding me as I must admit I do think it's lovely to be linked to such a nice place :-)

As some of you have already commented on a school prom I will just clarify it to those who are not quite sure.

Yes it is an American thing (unfortunatley) and it's held in the last year of Secondary school. (ages approx 16/17)

They used to be held after exams but this year has seen a big change in that some were held in January, February, March, and more to come in April, up until July... and maybe a few more in September.

The girls usually wear an expensive ball gown from about 150 Euro to anything up to 600 Euro and the Boys dress up in a Tuxedo (a man's dress suit of clothes in the semi-formal, black tie evening dress) which they usually hire.

Then comes the form of transport... usually a stretch limousine where each person pays about 60 Euro each (10 people) or some have even hired a horse and cart and some a fire engine!!

They all arrive at the school gates and then get on a coach to a venue... meal a dance and fun etc....

There are also colleges and universities doing it now and I have heard that some primary schools are thinking of having them (children aged 11) which is getting a bit silly.

So looking at the answers you have all given me... I was wrong to say it was a simple question!! but it does sound like there is a smaller version of the prom and like it was pointed out... the French do not dress up as much for dinner...

Any further comments would be appreciated if anyone else has further information.

My French teacher (in London) told us about 'rallys' for teenagers - posh parties at which it is de rigeur to dance rock and roll to a decent standard.  Each family in the 'circuit' undertakes to host one such party in the year and others in the circuit can invite one additional guest each.  Part of the deal is that the parents also pay for dance lessons for the teenagers so that they can live up to expectations.

I got the impression that this is mainly for the upper middle/ monied professional classes, with a view to enhancing their precious darlings' social networks.  Maybe more a feature of life in Paris (and the French lycee in London) than France profonde.  They are not organised by or through the schools.

I understood that UK schools had introduced proms as an incentive to motiviate Year 11s (GCSE year) by offering a celebration post-exams.  Extending it down to 11 year olds seems to defeat the object somewhat.

Helen

Hi Helen

I must admit it does sound rather posh... dance lessons indeed... this does not actually sound like fun as it's suppose to be. Very interesting though and thanks for your input.

I agree with your comment about the motivation of year 11's as I have spoke to girls who have been banned due to poor attendance and poor results in tests.

To have one for 11 year olds just seems a bit pointless as you pointed out.

John :-)

My niece had a school prom at her high school in the UK for her last year and had to do it all properly with dresses,corsage,partners in suits etc.and they even hired a chauffeur driven car to go back and forth as well.