Facts of life

trizzy

I wondered what age or what year the children are in france when this subject is first introduced in their schooling.  My own daughter is 11 and it hasnt been covered but my friends daughter is 14 and this subject still hasn't been covered.  I don't know if there is a specific year when it has to be taught or just that the teachers don't want to cover this issue.  Can someone advise what should be happening for me please.

Hi Trizzy

My son is already talking in class in some detail about reproduction in general terms and is only 8.  He can tell you all about it, which came as a surprise actually!  As I've said on here before his teacher is definitely non-standard she has been teaching in other countries and does not have the rather blinkered approach to the curriculum of others I've heard about so perhaps that's why.

Panda

I just really want to know if its covered at any point in class and was really very very surprised to find my friends daughter at 14 hadn't had any education on this subject via the school.  I don't have any problems discussing this with my own daughter but had always just assumed it would be also covered at school. In the UK  I know this would have been part of the curriculum, but here i'm not sure hence my need to ask someone who may know or is it left until the children are older?  I'm not one of those parents either who leave everything to the school and thus it doesnt' get discussed at home, in fact its quite the reverse, but at 14 surely some basic reproduction should be covered at school?

I'm very surprised by this, l'éducation à la sexualité, as they call it here is an obligatory part of the curriculum for all ages in seconday school (I'm a secondary school teacher so I don't know a lot about primary except what they do in my subject).  They do the purely reproductive part in biology (SVT) and then they hve the school nurse or doctor come in to talk to them about other elements.  This has been the case in every school I have taught in.

Our chap is in 3eme and came home just before the holidays having had 'teachings' in the subject and clutching (well, not exactly!) a packet of condoms (practice?!)  and some relevant literature.  Obviously we (and his older brothers) had already broached the subject a good time ago but good to know they follow up at college.

Hi

My daughter is in 4eme, she is 13,  and had a sex education lesson, planning Famialle,  yesterday, separate groups for the boys and girls!  I think this was the first one with a health visitor.  I remember the boys coming home with their packets of condoms, think that was 3eme??   In fact I must check if they still have them!!!!   and explain the sell by date.  They have covered reproduction in SVT.

Lollie

Yes, they did it in 4me, although they weren't given condoms.  Or cucumbers!

He said that the teacher wrote the word "sexualité" on the board and asked them to say what other words it made them think of.   The only one I remember is "fellation".   All I could think was that not for a million quid would I have said anything like that to my parents when I was 12!  [:D]

My son is in 4ème in a collège and they recently covered the subject. I know he said the atmosphere was relaxed because the teacher made them laugh saying " boys sorry, there will be no " travaux pratiques" !! [:D] Just theory ![:D]