there is no hope for the French ever to understand the Brits if this is the

filth taught in schools.

Anyway, we don’t think any kind of Nationalism is good for a young mind so now

want to teach him at home, partly for his educational needs and mostly for his

cultural and social needs...  I presume there is some sort of process that

must be undergone to do this. If anyone has experience of this I would be glad

to hear from you.  We hope to teach our son ourselves and not use home

tutors.  We are not qualified teachers but are degree educated (I have a

degree in Civil Engineering and an LLB and my wife has one in Psychology)..  As I say... not qualified teachers but we

very much fear the lobotomy required in Teacher training school.

Kinda strayed from the point there. 

Brendan

How extraordinary - I've educated three children here in a mixture of private and public schooling, town and deeply rural and I can honestly say that none of mine have ever come across this sort of prejudice from the teachers.  At one rural school my youngest got a lot of stick from the boys for being English but as she realised herself it had a lot to do with a)being a girl, b)being taller than they were and c) being much cleverer than they were and going to the top of the class in her first week.

Obviously you can't  allow this to go on - have you tried talking to the school?  If your son is actually being given the wrong facts you've got a strong case for complaint.  If that doesn't get you anywhere have you considered sending him to a private school?  They really aren't very expensive, I'm out of date now but I do know that at the college we sent our children too the bill for the school meals came to quite a bit more than the bill for the tuition.  Most private schools are Catholic but even if you're very anti-religion you don't have to worry about children stuffed with dogma, private schools that receive state funding (and most of them do ) aren't allowed to have religious instruction in school hours and any religious stuff is voluntary anyway.

[quote user="deadbeat"]

Hello,  this is my first message here.

we want to teach him at home, partly for his educational needs and mostly for his

cultural and social needs... 

[/quote]

I can appreciate that you might wish to educate him at home for academic reasons, but not for cultural or social ones.

Interreaction with other children is essential for social development, and if he is to develop a fluent French also.

You don't say which region you live in but it sounds a bit like Brittany.

I think we agree: when I wrote 'social' I was using it with the idea of fitting into the society in which he lives, ( in this case France) , which implies that he communicates enough with other people of his age to share in their common culture and references.

One of the problems of older people settling here is that they obviously haven't got that tissue of shared experience which bind a community, but it would be a pity to deny that to a young person who has the time to develop it.

That is assuming that the move to France is intended to be permanent, and that the parents accept that the child will become more French than English in certain respects.

I home educated my 4 children for a number of years.  It was an evolution and not a revolution.  It started when one of them was not progressing in school and slowly, one by one, all my children opted to be schooled at home.  Home education is why I now live in France.  I came here intially for them to learn French and then they decided to join the French education system.  One of my children continues to be home educated because that is better for her.  Home education opens windows to children's minds and offers horizons not dreamed off in the conventional educational system.

And as for social interaction, there are two sides to that - the bad side is the bullying, the sexual pressure, the drug taking, the prejudice etc.  Home educated children are protected from that for longer.  They can get their social interaction from all sorts of activities, such as sports clubs and scouts/guides etc etc.

Brendan (deadbeat) - I've sent you a PM.

[quote user="Boiling a frog"]

The teacher was correct about one thing at least    France is GMT plus 2 hours at the moment. GMT is 1021 am UK time is plus one hour ie 1121hrs and France is GMT plus 2 hours ie 1221 hrs

[/quote]

My apologies I mean to say BST + 2.  Many people may have inferred that from the text.  Forgive me for the error and thanks for pointing it out... Sir.

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="deadbeat"]

Hello,  this is my first message here.

we want to teach him at home, partly for his educational needs and mostly for his

cultural and social needs... 

[/quote]

I can appreciate that you might wish to educate him at home for academic reasons, but not for cultural or social ones.

Interreaction with other children is essential for social development, and if he is to develop a fluent French also.

You don't say which region you live in but it sounds a bit like Brittany.

[/quote]

Dordogne.

He has lots of French Friends (all in fact) whom he sees most days after school and on weekends.  I think he will be fine

Cathy

"Home educated children are protected"

I think that is what worries me!

A comparision would be to try to protect children from a flu virus, by keeping them away from other children. When they finally catch it they have no immunity from previous exposure.

Isn't it better to let them have experience of the big bad world and pilot them through it with a close family support?

The original poster's son is 14, and will come across the negatives soon enough.