French books for teenager

springbank

Hi,

Our 15yr old daugher needs to read more in french to help with her expresive writing. She is an avid reader with a very mature reading age and reads in english as a way to relax and finds the books in french for her age group very immature and boring. Can anyone suggest any decent french authors that would be interisting to a 15yr old.

Cheers

Graham and Paula

I hesitate to make this suggestion as I have a 15 year old daughter of my own and know how difficult it is to judge what they might like.

But when I was 16 or so I read J'ai 15 ans et je ne veux pas mourir by Christine Arnothy, a largely autobiographical account, though in narrative form, about the 1945 siege of Budapest. I thought it was brilliant and thought-provoking.  I re-read it last year and though it didn't have quite the same resonance for a 40 something person, I was still very moved by it.

Whether or not it would appeal to a 15 year old today is more difficult to judge as my own daughter's French isn't good enough for me to test it out!  But I think it might.

Not sure if too mature for her but how about Amélie Nothomb,   or get the books she normally reads  in French!  FNAC, and all the big informatique stores sell them or amazon.fr.  I guess see is studying Molière at school.  On the kids bookshelf here we have 'Classiques de poche, Molière and Voltaire but also Da Vinci Code, Anthony Horwitc etc, all in french.

Lollie 44