How are autistic children accommodated in the French system?

Fi

We are in the early stages of buying a property in Vosges (88).  We have three children, 8, 5 and 4.  Our 4 year old is autistic.  Does anybody have any information about how autistic children are educated in France.  We have been told (by a French person) that the system favours mainstream schooling with extra help in the form of a classroom assistant .  Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of this?  We intend to send the other two children to the local state school, so it would be great if they all went to the same place - apart from anything else the two older ones look out for the little brother, and he does rely on them too.   I have other questions about therapies/treatment of autism, but perhaps I should post those on the healthcare forum.  Any help/information/advice gratefully received.

Fi

Many thanks for that.  Both positive and negative views there.  I suspect the provision of care is something of a postcode lottery, and knowing where to go and who to speak to for information will be paramount.  I needed something to do to keep myself out of mischief![:)]

Fi