Times Higher Education-QS World University Rankings

Jotty

The Grand Ecoles are not considered as Universities - they take the very best pupils after Classes Preparatoires (2 years after Bac) - Of my daughters Terminale class 2007/8 over half went to Prepas so they will likely end up in Grande Ecoles and not in the Uni system and are not included in the tables. It's a bit complicated but that's partly why the French Unis don't figure in the top 100!

[quote user="John Martin BRADLEY"]But the Ivy League universities and Oxbridge do the same thing, so how is it different?  I also don't understand why France does so very badly in the Nobel Prize stakes.  Is it a languge thing?

[/quote]

This year they are doing better...

Le Clezio

Luc Montagnier

Francoise Barre-Sinoussi

but in general France hasn't got a good record.

One can't deny that France has some top level academics, but looking at Nobel Prize recipients by country, France is ranked fourth:

France: 57 and that number includes Albert Camus who is also on the Algerian list of recipients.

Germany: 101

UK: 114

USA: 308

In rigorous areas like physiology and medicine, France has done very badly with only (I think) five recipients.  Maybe they can't be bothered or are too high-brow to accept nomination :-). 

Howzit John

Strange, but understandable that Germany had a large number of Nobel prize winners before WWII when many talented Jewish scientists etc left for the USA.  Some from France too.

Similar diaspora of talents from SAfrica.  My old alma mater (Witwatersrand University) has had 4 Nobel laureates, including chemistry and medicine, but it is doubtful there will be many in the future.

I don't get the impression that French education, or science has much to learn from, for example, the UK and I am equally cynical about  these statistics.

Regards

Tegwini