Cost of ecole Maternelle?

Erica

Hi there,

forgive me if this question has been covered before, (I have had a look but no luck ;0) - but are there fees to pay for sending a three year old to the local school nursery in France? If so, does anyone have a rough idea of the cost?

Thanks in advance!

Erica

If it is a state school, then it is free, if an ecole privé then you would have to speak to them.

School days in France, well, in my village it was 8.30 until 11.30 and 13.30 until 16.30. The teachers did not like children doing half days and the teachers in the ecole maternelle are fully qualified teachers.

In our village there was a garderie before and after school which was quite cheap, I believe from around 7-7.30 and then they would take the kids to school and then until 18.30-19h at night, after collecting the kids from school. School lunches depend on what is charged, 2-3€ per day should cover it. Not everywhere charges the same, or didn't in my region.

All information about the local schools is usually available at your local Mairie.

http://www.education.gouv.fr/cid161/inscription-ecole-maternelle.htm

So the Mairie will do the first bit. Then you would have to go to the school for your child to be properly registered.

Don't forget to have proof of obligitory vaccinations required in France.

Also a child must be out of nappies, even the two year olds Maternelle is school and not a creche after all. I only mention this as I know of an alarming number of 'old' kids in the UK who are not these days, and I have no idea why not.

Thank-you Idun,

Sienna is toilet trained - (most of the time, we'll forget the little accident in Sainsbury's yesterday!)

I'm assuming that I will have to register my business in France, in order to be able to send her to school there. I wouldn't think I could take benifit of this if I wasn't paying French taxes. It's a long story, but basically I'm a children's book illustrator and I would be living over in France initially, whilst my husband continued to work in the UK for a while....

School is compulsory in France from the September of the year your child is 6. So any child born in 2005 (Jan/Dec) must start official school in September. Maternelle is not compulsory, but your child should be able to go.

Your school might query other jabs, that mine, along with all their classmates, ie all french children had and that was the what became infamous MMR jabs. If not obligatory, then recommended. There is a list or all jabs, obligatory and recommended on the Service-Public.fr web site.

If you work in France then you should register in France. School is a separate issue.

Just for your information the price for private schools 'Maternelle' are not expensive. It cost us just Euros 45 per month. Obviously this can vary slightly depending on where you live. Then the price for lunch is additional.

Not at all, school, as I said is compulsory for children from the September the year they are six. So in, as I said, children born in 2005 have to start CP in September.

Not to confuse the issue, but............

IF by chance they are at Maternelle and for some reason the parents would like them to stay on at Maternelle a further year, then they can ask for a derogation and if granted they would not have to start CP until the following September. Often happens with the children who are born in December as they would be the youngest in their class. Also happens that January kids parents ask for a derogation for their kids to start CP a year early.

You can look all this up. As I always say, what you read on here, no matter who posts, always check yourself. Look on the Education Nationale web site. School in France is obligatoire 6-16 years old.

DS1 started maternelle last sept. teacher was happy for him to do half days as he didn't have any french at that point. he probably won't do full days for while yet.

also, don't know where you will be but it's nigh on impossible to get cantine places at DS1 school, priority is guven to working parents. so that means picking up then dropping off again after lunch at home.