Teaching English to my child.

Sara

Hello Sara,

my son is ten and a half and has been over here since he was one, hence had only been educated in french school.  He would be CM2 here or Year 5 in the UK.  We took him out of conventional french school two years ago, with the aim being that he should go to school in the UK at age 11.  I have been home educating him since then.

He taught himself to read in english pretty early on, and I taught him spelling in english when we began Home Ed.  He fairly flies along, but french school left him a legacy of hatred for poetry, which took about a year to dispell.  He now loves poetry because he isn't forced to learn a pointless poem off by heart.  He reads inspirational poetry (Horatio at the Bridge, The Highwayman, The Inchcape Rock, Pro Patria Mori, Hilaire Belloc, RL Stevenson etc and adores it.

We worked our way through Roald Dahl, and I have always, and in fact still do, read aloud to him.  Usually we start a book together now, and he goes on to read it by himself.

He likes things like The Alchemyst, The Magician, Harry Potter, Philip Pullman, etc.  And I think he's now about ready for The Lord of the Rings.  He loves well written fantasy, although two years ago I would never have imagined he would be such a fanatical reader (1am in the mornings sometimes!).

If you want your son to go to school in the UK, it would be a very good idea to take him out of french school for a while beforehand and home educate him to make sure he is up to scratch.

There is so much you can get off the internet - past sats papers etc, that give you an idea of where your child stands compared with UK school children.

It has enabled us to forge ahead in maths much further than my DC would ever have gone in french school and he is working at uk Level 7 now doing an advanced Year 8 text book with no trouble.

His english is very good, but we keep his french going too and he reads in both languages.

It is not a complicated thing to do at all.

Just a simple letter to the Academie and to your Maire and your child can be taken out.

They are inspected once a year in the summer, and given very short tests in maths and french, but last year our inspector had no trouble with the fact that my DC was doing all his lessons in english.  I just told them he is going back to the UK eventually.

Best of luck, PM me if you wnat any more advice.

• 2 weeks later...
Many thanks Fil, I hardly ever have the time to go on to the internet so sorry for the delay in replying. I still don't know what we are going to do in the future, whether we stay here or go back to the UK. My OH is totally against going back, he is extremely discusted with the UK with the way they are treating disabled people, but that is another subject......

It is really hard to know what is best for our children and the future, England is still deep in recession (the future it has to be said is not looking that good in England) and France and Germany at the moment are doing better, perhaps it would be better to stay here for future jobs... who knows...

I will just have to wait a couple more years to make my mindup, what I do find worrying is that once I have made my mind up (and if I want to go back to the UK) how long will it take to sell my house..6 months if I am lucky 2 or 3 years who knows...

Fil I will try and send you a PM sometime this week as I have a couple of questions to ask.... Many thanks..

Sarah

And your husband knows exactly how 'handicapped people' are treat in France does he?

I have seen things over the years (in France) that have disgusted me beyond belief. Frying pans and fires springs to mind with this one.

I do know that in the UK in the early 70's I campaigned as a young woman to get rights for handicapped people. And for all these rights arrived eventually, I then saw abuses that made me so angry, so very angry. I suppose it ends up what people call a handicap and frankly some people in the UK get this classifcation when they are not.

Sara, England is categorically NOT in deep recession. While there are certainly areas that are feeling it more, where I live in the West Country, the economy is doing well and, comparing what I see happening in my town to where I lived in France I would say that on balance we are in far better shape. I found a job within a few weeks, another friend who moved back found one in a day! My husband is inundated with work now too. I come from the South East and would NEVER move back there. It's far too materialistic and money-centric. People seem miserable. Down here, we were recently voted some of the happiest people in Europe and I agree. People are friendly and warm, don't care what size your house is or what car you drive and there is a real sense of community.

We came back to the UK 18 months ago, partly because of the global financial situation which hit my husband's area of work hard, but mainly because I had no confidence at all in the secondary schooling my children were receiving in France, and their college was considered the best in the department.

My daughter went straight back into Year 7 with no need for any extra tuition or home schooling. She was ahead in some things, behind in others but it soon evened out. My son went into year 9 so had a year before he had to make his choices for GCSE. Obviously some of the subjects taught are not even on the French curriculum - design, IT, RS, etc, so it was important for us to get him back into school in the UK for that year. The main thing that teachers commented on was that their general knowledge was not at the same level as their peers and, interestingly, their knowledge of Europe. While they could name every river, departement, region, etc in France, outside of that they knew very little about the rest of the continent. Both sat their French GCSEs immediately and the school embraces their language skills.

We had immovable deadlines and as we couldn't sell our house in time we rented it out. It's not without its problems but it enabled us to get back to the UK where we are renting until such time as the house sells.  Maybe that is something you could consider.

We have not looked back since returning to the UK.  The education is excellent (nothing like Waterloo Road which, sadly, some people seem to think is a documentary rather than fiction) and their school is fantastically well-equipped with truly inspirational teachers. They have a well deserved outstanding rating from OFSTED which I know is not the 'be all and end all' but it's how I would rate the school personally too.  I love how they are now involved in the local community, fund-raising, volunteering and doing charitable work which never happened in France. They do more sport, are far more active, fitter and healthier than they were. They have far more freedom and independence than we could give them in France.  They've both blossomed back in the UK and neither would return to France, in fact, our son won't even come back with us for a week in the summer. He'd rather be here with his friends and his sport's clubs.

I don't think either would have found work in France in the future and if you look back into the archives when the question was asked about what British kids did when they finished school, very few seemed to stay there. There are hundreds of thousand of young French people working in the UK. That says it all really. Think how often you've found a British person working in a bilingual job in France.

Of course it's a big step but it needn't be a huge one.  Good luck.

[quote user="idun"]

And your husband knows exactly how 'handicapped people' are treat in France does he?

I have seen things over the years (in France) that have disgusted me beyond belief. Frying pans and fires springs to mind with this one.

I do know that in the UK in the early 70's I campaigned as a young woman to get rights for handicapped people. And for all these rights arrived eventually, I then saw abuses that made me so angry, so very angry. I suppose it ends up what people call a handicap and frankly some people in the UK get this classifcation when they are not.

[/quote]Yes, I did find this a bit odd too, Idun.  One thing I find really noticeable when I go to the UK is how much better the facilities are for the disabled and how well adapted everything is.  You can get a wheelchair into nearly every cab; at public events there are often motorised scooters for hire (race tracks, concerts), public buildings have little lifts installed so you can get a wheelchair into them (I can't go to my mairie because I can't get up the steps and there is no blue badge parking space with a level acces - the nearest one is 200 meters away), there are accessible places in theatres and other public buildings, the list is endless.

Yes, I know that tests are being made in the UK now so that disabled people who can work are expected to but that will follow you to France.  IB is not automatic and the French authorities will carry out medicals to confirm that one is unable to work too.

All in all, I think that assuming that the disabled have a better time of it here is a bit naive, we have our problems in France too.  I certainly wouldn't put it anywhere near the top of my list of reasons for staying here.

[quote user=thepenofmyaunt]

Sara, England is categorically NOT in deep recession. I agree

While there are certainly areas that are feeling it more, where I live in the West Country, the economy is doing well and, comparing what I see happening in my town to where I lived in France I would say that on balance we are in far better shape. I found a job within a few weeks, another friend who moved back found one in a day! My husband is inundated with work now too.

I come from the South East and would NEVER move back there. It's far too materialistic and money-centric. People seem miserable. Wow, that's a sweeping statement, I live in the S.E. and it is not like that in my experience!

Down here, we were recently voted some of the happiest people in Europe and I agree. People are friendly and warm, don't care what size your house is or what car you drive and there is a real sense of community. We too have a good sense of community where I live.[:)]

[quote user="thepenofmyaunt"]

Sara, England is categorically NOT in deep recession. While there are certainly areas that are feeling it more, where I live in the West Country, the economy is doing well and, comparing what I see happening in my town to where I lived in France I would say that on balance we are in far better shape. I found a job within a few weeks, another friend who moved back found one in a day! My husband is inundated with work now too. I come from the South East and would NEVER move back there. It's far too materialistic and money-centric. People seem miserable. Down here, we were recently voted some of the happiest people in Europe and I agree. People are friendly and warm, don't care what size your house is or what car you drive and there is a real sense of community.[/quote]

Here in Wiltshire Matalan is advertising for 85 people. They already have over 1000 applicants following the closure of two local call centres. In our business we can fill vacanies without advertising from the number of people enquiring on spec.The number of empty shops on the high street is growing so I would not say the local economy is booming.

Hello

I live in the west country too and have found that in general things are ticking along.  I dont know anyone who is out of work personally, not to say that companies are tightening their belts but my own employers business was up 16% last year and we are a large employer in the area.  House prices here are not dropping, not rising either though.

I agree totally on the freedom point and fitness too, my son is always out on his bike, it's much safer here as we live in a small built up area, all cul-de-sacs and cycle paths he and his mates are out for as long as they can, sadly in France we lived in the middle of nowhere and even the nearest village was dead of freindly kids so our son was often alone and resorted to computer games. 

Funny that Sara mentioned sullen kids, I used to find the french in general quite a sullen bunch, I know they enjoy a moan, it must rub off on the kids!

As far as learning english goes, it's SATS time here in the UK and our son is predicted to get 5's across the board which considering he spent age 3-9 in a french school is pretty good.  I did always read to him in english and everything was english at home but a year ago his written work was poor, he did get some extra tuition early on but now he's flying so I wouldnt  worry too much about how kids will adapt back in the UK.

I think Sara's point on disability is about DLA and testing and removal, that's the only thing hitting the news that I can think of. 

On disability and the french, I asked the question of my neighbour, why you dont see many disabled people around, as she worked at a care home for the disabled and she said the french are ashamed of them and they were discouraged from taking them out too much which is appauling.  Im sure thats not a general opinion and one I hope will not remain.

[quote user="Panda"]

I think Sara's point on disability is about DLA and testing and removal, that's the only thing hitting the news that I can think of. 

[/quote]I hope that wasn't what she meant because not all of DLA is exportable (confirmed last week by the UK) and the testing of DLA recipients happens here too.

When I was in rehab' we had some lovely women whose sole job it was to keep us entertained and take us out on trips etc.  But it is well known to be one of the best in the country so I don't know what it's like elsewhere.

Here in the UK there have been quite a few items on the news recently about the effect cuts are having on services for the disabled etc. It does seem to be very variable depending on where you live. In short I get the impression that things are not as good as they were

Thought I had better clarify on my earlier refrerence to my husband's dismay & disgust at the U.K.'s treatment of disabled people.

His overriding concern is with the ongoing Atos work capability assessments and the crusade to remove as many chronically ill & disabled individuals from DLA (now ESA) allowance as is conceivably possible. Regardless it would seem of their capability to work. Would explain that my husband is involved in legal advocacy work for disabled & chronically ill people back in the U.K. He has been for many years now. He firmly believes, based upon his experience, that there is an unfolding scandal in relation to this issue taking place in the United Kingdom at the present time. Very, very ill individuals who have been struggling to financially survive for many years, not to mention their extreme medical difficulties, are now facing the reality of having their DLA allowance removed & being placed on job seekers' allowance. He knows of an individual with a chronic & incurable neuro-immune disease who is bedbound and on a feeding tube who has just had her DLA removed. She is now appealing..Also incredibly a number of cases also where terminally ill individuals have been passed fit for work. All happening under the noses of an unsuspecting and in his opinion, a naive general public who seem to believe the media & government spin that all claimants are scroungers.. His feeling is that, yes of course, France also has it problems in this general area. However, generally speaking, genuinely disabled or chronically ill people in France are supported properly by the state. As indeed they should be.

As you can tell he has very strongly held views on this subject! He is assisting in attempting to help certain individuals who are facing desperate circumstances at the moment.

Thought I had better just clarify this. Realise it is a controversial subject back in the U.K. at the moment.

Sara

Thanks very much for that Sara.  Yes, I do understand that this is going on in the UK.  My only caveat for your husband is that it is the same here, if not worse in some cases.  I spent eight months in a centre here and many of my fellow inmates have some dreadful stories to tell of the way they are treated.  I have a good friend who has had to go back to her abusive husband because she cannot take care of herself and the government will not give her any allowances.  That's a very bare account of the facts but you get my point.  I was simply backing up Idun's statement about frying pans and fires!

I'm lucky because my accident was not my fault so it's an insurance matter but I know of many people in dire straights here.  This is not a benefits paradise for anybody and the government here can be just as cruel and is equally capable of pandering to the public's false perceptions of people on government support of all sorts.[:@]

Now that the right's opposition is disintegrating by the day, heaven only knows what the French people are in for in the future either.[:(]

Thanks cooperlola. I will make my husband aware of your comments. He is in contact with a few people over here who are chronically ill and/or handicapped (including some French people) but the impression he got was that things were not as bad for people over here in terms of state support and disability benefits. Maybe he needs to revise his opinion on things this side of the channel also..

Interesting in that I spoke with a French woman recently who had also lived for a number of years in London and is married to an English guy and her honest assessment was that the French nation is having a nervous breakdown. Her words not mine. She thinks they are becoming more & more obessed by money and less concerned with the plight of their fellow human beings.. Generally becoming less happy in themselves as a result. As I say this is her opinion not mine.

Certainly my heart goes out to the genuinely chronically ill and disabled who are too ill to work wherever they are located these days. Their plight and increasing hardships are largely forgotten about by the healthy majority it would seem. Many people seem largely oblivious to the fact that there is a very serious problem developing for these poor people.

Sorry everyone to have gone off on a bit of a tangent in this!

Best to all, Sarah

Cendrillon, I'm just basing it on what I'm seeing. I lived in the SE for 40 odd years and my SE friends who come to visit are all so stressed and unhappy compared to my friends who live locally. I know that 'community' exists in the South East. My parent's village in Sussxe testament to that but since moving to another region I've realised that community ties are much stronger here. Just my experience and the reason I said I would never move back to the South East, much as I love it there, but everyone's experience is different

I'm in Wiltshire too, in fact I work in Trowbridge and it has the top 4 most deprived areas in the whole of the county. The friend I mentioned also works in Wiltshire. However, you can't judge the West Country by what happens in Trowbridge. Overall the West Country economy is doing better than the economy overall. While Vodafone and Virgin are closing, there are some other larger businesses moving in and a new discount supermarket opening up next door to Matalan so more jobs coming. In my town some shops have closed down but new businesses have opened to take their place. I work for a large employer and we are currently advertising about 15 jobs that we certainly can't fill by on spec applicants.