Extra BAC Subjects

Piddy

My daughter has completed 2nde and continues with her BAC S in September. Lots of her friends take extra subjects such as Sign language and Chinese but she decided that she would have enough to do with just her core subjects.

We have read about the students who have achieved BACs with scores in excess of 20 because you get extra credit for extra subjects.

Should our daughter being doing one or more of these extra subjects in order to bring her moyenne up? Is it too late to start now? Is there any benefit in doing it?

Has anyone been through this with their child and can offer some advice please?

Thanks in advance. 

If she intends on going on to uni then as long as she gets the required BAC pass at the end, that is all that matters because uni is entirely a different kettle of fish and how you get your points trimestre is far more important than during the BAC. I would let her concentrate onwhat she has already and not let a new subject worry her even more especially a language because at uni the choice of doing a second language is often one completely different.

My son was given the choice of learning chinese, russian or italian when starting university so your daughter will find the same sort of choice there. In the case of my son, the second year gave him the alternative of doing maths instead of a language which he took up instead as it was far easier.

• 2 weeks later...
One of my daughter's friends passed her Bac S by 1 mark (she got 2 in maths due to a hopeless teacherbwho was sacked) - she'd done latin as an extra so the extra points were really important.  One daughter did Art as an extra subject, not a mental strain just sheer enjoyment and got a very useful extra few points.  It's also worth noting that entry to prepas is selective and they do look at your dossier, how hard working you are, whether you do anything extra etc.

Thank you everybody.

We will talk to the school next week, but it maybe too late to start as her classmates will already have done a year of which ever subject she chooses and a) They may not let her start b) She may be too far behind to catch up.

Piddy.