moving school in next village

murphyworm

[quote user="murphyworm"]hi has anyone moved to an ajoining village to where the kids are already in school, to find out they HAVE to attend the school in the new village? is there a way I can keep my kids in the same school they are in now???[/quote]

What classes are they in .The mairie can only force a change at the end of Grand section and at the end of CM2. In addition if one child is already in the school the mairie can not force the other child into a different school. This is written into law code d'education articles L212-8.

Well surely if you have moved then they should attend the new village school. When did you move? It is only the beginning of October, so where are your children at school now, in your original village or the new one?

Also, did you know that the commune in which you live has to make a payment to the school for each child at the school in their village and if the children are from a different village, then unless the other commune decides it will participate and I don't believe that they have to, then they will be out of pocket.  

I would have thought that unless you are working and the old school was more convenient for you, then surely having one's peers nearby, is a good idea?

thanks for all the replies. My son is in Moyen and my daughter grand. but next year she goes to a private school. we have not moved yet will be in 2 or 3 months. I know the kids can stay until the next school year change. Im going to visit the mayor on Saturday in the new village. will be interesting to see what he says about his school. plus I have to think that my son will be getting another 7 months of learning French so will have had almost 2 years of it under his belt...... so will be ok going into a school that no English exisists?

Hi, usually when people change villages etc ,the children have to change schools unless you have a derogation. Have you spoken to the school about this? you have to inform them that you are changing address ( and to be honest they will know any way if it is a village)so I would just ask them if your children can stay at their school or not. If they say yes then you have your answer and probably will not even need a derogation. If they say no then I doubt very much that you will get the derogation for them to stay there , if you go above them to try and force them   you will be creating other problems. If your kids have already been at school for a year I wouldn't have thought the teachers speak to them in english anyway.

RichardBK, why can't they do that. I read your link, but I obviously didn't quite interpret it as you did.

I just know that it costs villages to have their schools and the children in the schools. It isn't just the basic allowances they give, but help towards outings and even 'holidays'. Well that is how it was for ours, subventions were asked for and negociated and then us parents raised the differences.I don't see why my local taxes should have gone to kids from another commune if there is no derogation and no good reason for them not to move.

English 'existing' in primary schools. Really? I am wondering why there would be. Heck the acadamie hasn't even got any time for occitane and other french 'languages'.

La scolarisation d'un enfant dans une école d'une commune autre que celle de sa résidence ne peut être remise en cause par l'une ou l'autre d'entre elles avant le terme soit de la formation préélémentaire, soit de la scolarité primaire de cet enfant commencées ou poursuivies durant l'année scolaire précédente dans un établissement du même cycle de la commune d'accueil.

Once in maternelle, or in primary the parents can choose to go to a different school, but the mairies can not force you to move. E.g if you are already in petite or moyen section you can stay until end of grand section , and if you are already in CP you can stay until end of CM2.

There is however no obligation on the mairies to let you stay in the other school when going from Grand section to primary. E.g they could make you change (unless you have another reason such as another child in the initial school)

thank you.... I feel alot happier now thinking my son can stay at the maternell with his friends and A school that has been very good for my daughter with great teachers of which 4 can speak English. they dont speak English to my kids always french. But when my kids ask something in English at least the teacher understands what they are asking and can then help them. and because of this my daughter now 5 has really excelled in learning French. .

thanks for all your help everyone.

I think that that word 'cycle' was the one I interpreted differently. I  always thought that the 'cycle' was the two years of CE and then the two years of CM rather than the whole caboodle. And I certainly hadn't realised that the Maternelle was part of a 'cycle', as maternelle is not obligatoire.

I never ever expected any teacher in maternelle/primaire/college to speak english to my kids, and they never did and mine started maternelle without any french. We had turkish children in our village school and the teachers couldn't speak turkish either.

you are right. cycle 1 is PS+MS and cycle 2 is GS,CP,CE1, cycle 3 is CE2, Cm1,CM2.

However, I was told by a french colleague that for the purposes of schooling outside the commune, it is done on maternelle, and primary. However, this is France and of course there maybe different interpretations.

I found this on the ministry site. http://media.education.gouv.fr/file/Espace_parent/09/2/guide-parents-maternelle_43092.pdf

chapter 1 :

"Lorsque votre enfant est inscrit à l'école maternelle d'une commune d'accueil, il a droit d'y effectuer toute sa scolarité maternelle"

I see this is being discussed on anothe forum and somebody has posted the following link also

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F1865.xhtml

" l'enfant inscrit en école élémentaire dans une commune d'accueil a le droit d'y effectuer toute sa scolarité élémentaire"

so as I was old it seems that they use the actual school rather than then cycle to implement the law.

OK Thanks.

We never had this problem in our village with the state school, but we did have an ecole privé and there were kids from other communes in that. They had to declare which were hors commune and our village made them pay more for say school dinners and whatever else , I cannot remember.  So that was pretty straight forward.

When I think back and how we had to fight for every last allowance from the Mairie for the kids in our school and to get the school moderised. It was worse than my Dad's school in the 1920's when my kids started at it. Including a class in a prefab too, an oven in summer, a freezer in winter inspite of the heating being on. Then paying for kids hors commune would have enraged me at the time. I can understand due to working hours and nounous and garderies as to why some would need to have their kids other than in the local school, but basically I do believe in France at least that kids should be in their local school.

We nearly had a class closure when I was presidente of our parents assoc, one of the things that worked in our favour resulting in us ending up being the only school in the region to retain our class was calculating sensibly the  number of kids who would be attending our school. If they had remained elsewhere we would have been right in it when the new term started the following September. It is alright campaigning for campaigning's sake, but ours was well thought out and we didn't need to juggle with numbers.

So from a financement point of view, I am against pupils hors commune as a general rule.

The main problem, is that whilst it is very nice for every village to have its own primary school, it is really not cost effect, but in my experience trying to get communes to work together to invest in a single school with better facilities for all is nigh impossible. We had to club together with other parents and take in electric heaters one year, when the heating went off for a couple of weeks. In one RPI we had the situation where all the kids travel to another school for lunch, meaning that they get about 10 mins lunch break - the rest of the time is spent on the bus !

The joys of maternelle and primary in France.

Whilst there is the current system in place, I would limit derogations, otherwise it isn't fair. Some communes are far more interested in their schools and generous in their budgets and for the tax payers in that village it just isn't right that these facilities are used by people from the exterior. All EU residents can vote in their local elections and in fact some members of this board are elus. No reason why people cannot vote to have better facilities at their local schools or get involved and change things.

In fact in our village, it was a group of parents who became quite militant and actually ended up being voted in and running the Mairie and that is how we got our new maternelle and huge improvements to our primary school and rid of that darned hut of a class.