Is there a welcome in the hillsides?

lil

Hi all

We will be visiting our new house for the first time in March.  It is in La Nadalie a small hamlet near Marval which is near Piegut ( borders Dordogne/ Haute Vienne)

Are there any friendly souls nearby?

Also, does anyone now anybody who would cut grass? approx 1/4 acre so not huge.

Someone said there was an English speaking line for French Telecom.Can't find it. It would be useful to arrange installation before we get there.

Thanks

Elaine

Hi

I don't think you would be able to establish a phone connection prior to arrival. Its normal to have to present yourself in person at the France Telecom offices with proof of ownership of the house, passports, a bill of some sort, bank details etc, and the name of the person who last had a phone there ie previous owner, in fact take anything that comes to mind. But after that, normally, you phone will be connected straight away. And you have to pay, I seem to recall it cost us about 48 euro for connection.

Hope this helps.

Hello Elaine,

At, or near, Marval you'll find you're among lots of very friendly English - and French - folks.  What's more, there's a Franco-Britannique Association based at Marval, and they organise social activities and language courses.

If you care to e-mail me, Kath and I could arrange to meet you for a coffee when you come over and tell you more about the area.

Incidentally, can anyone tell me why I am a "junior member".  I'm sixty, so it can't refer to my age.  And the only other interpretation of junior member I would find quite insulting!

I've been a member of the forum for several years, so when do I become a senior, or even a normal, member?

There is indeed a number for France Telecom from UK: 0033 155 786 056.   Mon - Fri 08:30 to 20:00.

It was apparently set up for their growing English speaking clientele.

When I called, they seemed pleased that I could provide the telephone number of the previous owner. (I found mine on the Compromis de Vente). Not sure how necessary those details are though.

Everything was done over the phone, including taking my Bank details for payment. It's 46euros to reconnect an existing line, plus 13euros a month for the rental. 

[quote]There is indeed a number for France Telecom from UK: 0033 155 786 056 . Mon - Fri 08:30 to 20:00. It was apparently set up for their growing English speaking clientele. When I called, they seemed...[/quote]

Hi Lil!

if you speak a little French you will be OK with the France Telecom operators as they all have quite a lot of English.