Teacher almost pulls off ear

nomoss

[quote user="nomoss"] ... Is this a regular practice in french primary schools?   ....    [/quote]

Yup ! remember it well [:(] ....  I was in my CM1 class at the time, our usual instituteur went on a 6 months sabbatical and was replaced by a most sadistic trainee teacher ...

He thought of nothing to pull girls long ponytails or French platts. Ouch that bleeding did hurt [:'(] He only did it the once on me as I couldn't recite my 9 times table correctly... That Thursday (in those days, before the dinausors roamed the earth, we didn't have school on a Thursday) my mother took me to the hairdresser to cut my long hair off. Unfortunately my ears stuck out in the cold and were bright red as if signalling : 'Eh Mister ! them ears are good for a pulling !!'

No distinction between boys or girls, we had same treatment. At least he believed in 'égalité des sexes' ... He lasted  not quite a month at that school for all the complaints ...

and I now know my 9 times table [:(]

[quote user="Bob T"]Nice to see that French schools still have punishments for badly behaved children. Shame that they all get away with it in some countries, no wonder they grow up and start riots.
[/quote]

Are you kidding, really open wounds are OK? I'm not against physical punishment, but pulling a kids ear so badly that it needed an operation, dear me, what century were you  born in, earlier than the 20th by the sound of it.

In our primary school in France laps across the face and ears, were current, and can damage hearing and no one complained. And the kicks on the backside are  frankly undignified and unwarrented especially to the child with learning difficulties.

Bottoms are padded and being hit can hurt but does not harm. Even a slap to the back of the thighs doesn't either. No child should be hit anywhere else.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="L'Aiffricaine"]

[quote user="nomoss"] ... Is this a regular practice in french primary schools?   ....    [/quote]

Yup ! remember it well [:(] ....  I was in my CM1 class at the time, our usual instituteur went on a 6 months sabbatical and was replaced by a most sadistic trainee teacher ...

He thought of nothing to pull girls long ponytails or French platts. Ouch that bleeding did hurt [:'(] He only did it the once on me as I couldn't recite my 9 times table correctly... That Thursday (in those days, before the dinausors roamed the earth, we didn't have school on a Thursday) my mother took me to the hairdresser to cut my long hair off. Unfortunately my ears stuck out in the cold and were bright red as if signalling : 'Eh Mister ! them ears are good for a pulling !!'

No distinction between boys or girls, we had same treatment. At least he believed in 'égalité des sexes' ... He lasted  not quite a month at that school for all the complaints ...

and I now know my 9 times table [:(]

Sorry Aiffricaine, I giggled out loud reading your post. When I was at primary school, our punishment was the leather belt on the hand. It left your hand red and stinging, (you'll gather I was not a model pupil.), perhaps even worse when I look back, were the insults and sarcasm of the teachers who should have known better. As Idun said, there were no allowances for slower learners then. I'm glad things have changed in UK, and surprised that they haven't in France.