How to find a good college

Aussie mum

I am considering taking my daughter to live for 6 months in France to give her French a boost. This will be after she has finished 'primary' in the UK ( she will be in 6ieme in the French system). She has attended a bilingual school in Australia & is now attending an English school & doing the CNED (not the full course only French & maths). Can anyone help with recommendations for colleges in regions close to Calais. The rest of the family will be staying in London. My French is minimal so any other suggestions also greatfully listened to. (I will be doing some language courses)

she'll be a bit young to board ...... but there are families that will take her en famille. It's not near Calais but the school at La Baule (College Grand Aire) where my son is in Lycee has an international section.... feel free to PM if you want more information

Hi there,

You can only board at Grand Air from 4eme. As places are at a premimum I dont think they would look too kindly at giving up a place to someone for six months in the section. I have hosted students from abroad for the school before, I think nowadays you have to find your own host family. Maybe you should just find a normal college near Calais that has boarding facilities, if you wish to improve her French. There are some companies who organise these type of exchanges? I do think though its the best way for children to improve languages, the French do it all the time. Often french children at Grand Air would go abroad for six months to improve their English.

Another downside to sending her to an international section is that she will naturally stick to the English speakers, which defeats the object.

Lorraine