French History Syllabus

Hoddy

In 2003 the college history text book that I read stated similar to: the "history since 1900 is so well known that it will not be discussed here."  It is studied in the academic bac syllabus though, and those bits that I read (also a few years ago) about the 1939-45 war and the reasons that led to the conflict, had a slant that rightly or wrongly, some Brits would be uncomfortable with.

For example, whereas the horror of the firebombing of Berlin might be described for UK ears as x aircraft, dropping x tons of bombs in one night, the French course book that I read said: "x tonnes of TNT, equivalent to x times the weight of TNT dropped on London in the whole war."

We have a 75 year old French friend who didn't know England was bombed in WW2 until we passed the ruined church in Plymouth, and a 55 year old who had to ask us when her daughter asked her if the English were in the war.

Steve

Thanks SC. That is very interesting because the lady I was talking to, who I've known for a long time, was surprised that British towns were bombed in WW ll.

To be absolutely fair she knew much more about The Hundred Years War than I do.

Hoddy

This is the syllabus for the year before the last...in the last year they study post 1945

http://www.academie-en-ligne.fr/Lycee/Ressources.aspx?PREFIXE=AL7HG11&CLASSE=Premi%C3%A8re%20L

There is an intersating .pdf outline of the section on 20thC wars

http://www.academie-en-ligne.fr/Ressources/7/HG11/AL7HG11TEPA0212-Sequence-06.pdf

for example:

septembre 1938
; Hitler s’en prend aux Sudètes. La France abandonnéepar son allié britannique accepte de participer avec l’Alle
-magne, l’Italie et la Grande-Bretagne à laconférence de Munich (septembre1938)
où elle trahit son allié tchécoslovaque

[quote user="NormanH"]

a link to:

septembre 1938

; Hitler s’en prend aux Sudètes. La France abandonnéepar son allié britannique accepte de participer avec l’Alle

-magne, l’Italie et la Grande-Bretagne à laconférence de Munich (septembre1938)

où elle trahit son allié tchécoslovaque
[/quote]

Hmmmm..........

I've just been listening to Albert Shirer's The Third Reich. Based on this, Chamberlain sold the Czechs down the river in the most appalling way. Anything seemed better than another war with Germany. Looking at it with the benefit of hindsight, what was done to the Czech's was shameful. And it's not as if France took the high ground in this process either.