Sex education in French schools

miaviv

When do French kids get sex education ?  I was quite surprised to hear that in England now the kids get a rather "full-on" video at the age of 10(ish) but I actually don't know at what age children receive sex education in France.  Can someone enlighten me please ?

• 1 month later...

It does look as if sex education and contraception education is not really working very well in France - apparently there is quite an increase in the number of teen pregnancy terminations, now the highest in Europe according to a very recent news item (which I now cannot trace...)

http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/israel-nisand-il-y-a-15-000-ivg-par-an-sur-des-mineures-26-09-2010-1082907.php

Around here getting knocked up at the earliest possible age seems to be the accepted wisdom as a career choice.

What is really sad is that apart from a minority that manage to escape the area to study and fuel their ambition when they realise that there is more to life than the Picard quotidien it really is the best career choice for the majority that remain.

Yes, unfortunately it seems to be true that in the rural areas (and that mostly means outside of Ile de France) teenagers don't have too much perspectives. The frensh centralized system made Paris the center of "the world". So if you don't have the capacity to do studies (and even if you did them) there is not a lot of work outside Ile de France. So what do young woman do (in my opinion and not proved by statistics) is creating a family to have at least some future outlook...

But I thought that in UK teenage pregnancy is much more common...

Anyways, having sex education at a young age is not in relation with teenage pregnancy. For example in Germany they have this very early and Germany is definitely one of the European country where the birth rate is very low...

[quote user="MerveilN"]
Anyways, having sex education at a young age is not in relation with teenage pregnancy. For example in Germany they have this very early and Germany is definitely one of the European country where the birth rate is very low...
[/quote]Sorry, but that seems to support the argument that sex education does affect teenage pregnancy rates, or am I missing something?[8-)]

Earlier is better. Sex is natural and is going to happen - it just may not be all the way understood. The human body is a crazy thing - I've seen on Yahoo Answers a boy asking why he hasn't had his period and he is 17.

Don't just assume kids know!

• 4 years later...