French as she is spoken in the UK

mint

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know which one you mean, PaulT.

But, I did have to wait to see when they would put the accent over the "e" in Dammartin en Goële, so that I knew how to pronounce it!  They eventually got the accent on towards the middle of the afternoon.

PS, I thought it might have been Goêle and I thought it might have been pronounced like that woodburner, poêle, in your sitting room.  Once the accent went on, I knew it would be pronounced like my friend Joëlle!  Who says French is difficult to pronounce, ha, ha, ha?

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]I was a bit hit and m

iss. And Lyse Doucette, who was the on-the-spot BBC reporter,v started off pronouncing it right, and then by later on as thing got more and more intense, she was pronouncing it ask "gueule"![/quote]

Yes, I heard her say "gueule" and I smiled as it was about the only thing that was even slightly amusing.  She did do a very good job, however.  On the whole, as far as UK TV went, I thought the best reportage was from the BBC news channel and France 24 which gave excellent background and had a host of guests with deep knowledge and controversial opinions.

Edit.  Actually, Betty, I think she spells her name Doucet and yes they do pronounce the "t" [:D]

And are you old enough to remember Reggie BosanqueT (or however that is spelt)?

Endlessly fascinating, language and anything to do with language[:)]

Mint, you are right. I am having trouble with my keyboard at the moment, which is no excuse, but my iPad has declared UDI And is inserting random letters willy-Nilly as I type, plus random caps and all sorts of bizarre things. As a consequence, it takes about 10 minutes for me to correct every post! But that's not an excuse for sloppy thinking!

Betty, "sloppy thinking" is not something I could ever accuse you of[:)]

What a horror, random letters being inserted[+o(]

My problem with my keyboard is that, if I am typing fastish, it lags behind and the words get inserted elsewhere than the intended places in the text.  That is really annoying as I have nowadays to get things written down before I forget what I want to say![:-))]